The Truth is Unfortunately That

Harriet was sitting by the classroom window staring outside. She seemed to be thinking of nothing in particular, eyes slightly clouded like a daydreamer.

In reality, she was placing puzzle pieces into the bigger picture.

Amina's parents had been working for Dumbledore. They had also been working for Tom. Add the vendetta or whatever and you got the idea that Tom must have had a deathly hallow to make Dumbledore place them there. He must also not have suspected them.

Then there was the issue of that fateful Halloween night when Harriet Potter became the girl who lived.

The cloak had belonged to her father. That meant her family had owned a deathly hallow. Dumbledore had gone after them for that. But Tom had also been destroyed on that night.

So, what had happened?

Had Tom tried to save them? Unlikely since he also had a hallow.

Had he been there to kill them?

Was their alliance a lie?

Harriet didn't know. Was she still safe if Tom knew she had the cloak?

About as safe as if Dumbledore knew, she supposed.

Why did Tom want the hallows anyway?

It didn't matter. She could still figure that out.

Dumbledore and Tom Riddle must have arrived at the Potters at the same time, just about. Then they must have fought. Her parents had been killed in the process. How, she didn't know. What mattered was that Dumbledore and Riddle were the only ones left standing. Dumbledore must have won the duel with a powerful dark curse. Then he must have tried to kill to get the cloak, only to realise it wasn't there.

Her father had probably given it to Moony.

Tom had found a way to stay alive after being 'killed'. That meant he had a trick up his sleeve, whatever it was. It was probably really dark magic.

Harriet scanned all the information she had found on dark magic. Nope. No clue.

Sighing, Harriet realised she had somehow been doomed to be a puzzle-piece in a struggle for power. This also meant that the two 'main parties' also had a hallow. Probably.

Who had what then?

If Dumbledore had won the duel then...

Shit. He had the wand. The Wand. Capital 'W' and underlined.

Tom must have the stone then. Maybe that was why he lived.

Harriet had the cloak. Possibly the most useful item in her opinion. A small amount of smugness crept up.

She was allowed that, surely.

"Earth to Harriet!" Pansy waved a hand infront of her face.

Harriet jerked back, banging her knee against the desk. "Ow! Pansy! Don't scare me like that, woman!"

"I wouldn't if you'd pay attention. I've been trying to get your attention for a solid five minutes."

"Oh. Sorry."

"You could sound more regretful."

"Not really, no." Harriet smirked.

Pansy rolled her eyes. "What did you get for question ten?"

"On what?" Harriet asked looking at all the marked papers in front of her.

"Transfiguration homework." Pansy said. She looked really nervous.

"Uh..." Harriet checked quickly, "Full marks!"

"Great! Can I compare?"

"You can try."

"I meant the homework."

"Oh! That. Sure!"

"Thanks," Pansy said grabbing the parchment and looking between their answers. Sighing, she put it down again. "You don't think I can get McGonagall to give me an extra mark for my handwriting?"

"Why?" Harriet asked, "That bad?"

Pansy handed over her sheet.

"Ouch." Harriet said dryly.

"Gee, thank you! Such a good friend."

"I did offer to help you study!" Harriet chuckled softly, passing the sheet back.

"My grades this year are going to be worse than Draco's!" Pansy cried dramatically.

"I knew it!" Draco triumphed behind them.

"Piss off!"

"Please, you haven't had a chance since our potions scores came in!"

Pansy glared at him before asking Harriet, "When do we get Transfiguration and Divination back?"

"Next week," Harriet answered. "You're next essay would have to be really good though."

"Thanks for the honesty, but you can cool it on the brutal."

"Not really, no."

Draco gave a snort of laughter.

"I'm going to murder you." Pansy told him.

"Speaking of," Blaise said, pointing to some owls. "That's probably charms."

"Finally," Harriet said, getting up to open the window. "I've been worrying about those!"
-----------
The Riddle is solved! Or is it?

Stay tuned for the next part!

XOXO, Drachma