Catching The Rat

Harriet stood facing Professor McGonagall's office door, a file clutched tightly in her hands. Did she feel comfortable asking for help? No.

Was Professor McGonagall the best option in this case? Weighing all the pros and cons, the conclusion was solid. Yes, the teacher was the best option.

Harriet considered one more time. Well, she could give it a shot.

She raised a fist and knocked three times. After a minute of waiting with her breath held, she heard a, "Come in!"

She opened the door nervously and stepped inside.

"Ms. Potter," McGonagall said, looking at her over the brim of her glasses. "What can I do for you?"

Harriet gulped. This had to be handled properly. She couldn't screw this up.

"I have a few Questions," she said more calmly than she felt.

McGonagall put down her newspaper. "About classwork? I suggest asking you peers first.

"About Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew," Harriet said, placing the file on the desk.

McGonagall picked it up. It was obvious her interest had been awoken. Harriet took a deep breath. Was it enough evidence? Had she messed anything up?

She watched as the teacher looked over her work, feeling very much like an artist showing the King his new portrait.

"Have you contacted the ministry?" Professor McGonagall asked eventually, putting the file down.

"We wanted to wait until we had him," Harriet said looking at the floor. "They'd just roll their eyes and say 'stupid kids' otherwise."

She scuffed her foot on the ground.

Professor McGonagall nodded and looked back at the file. "Where do you suppose Pettigrew is now?"

"Disguised as Ron Weasley's rat."

"Which is why you brought the case to me?"

"Not only. I thought perhaps an authority figure who wasn't directly involved should know."

Professor McGonagall smiled slightly. "You do have some wits about you, I suppose. The truth serum for the confession?"

"Brewed."

"By you?" Professor McGonagall studied her.

Harriet began grinding the ball of her foot on the ground. This was so awkward! "And Draco Malfoy," she said.

"I see." Professor McGonagall stood up. "Very well, Potter. You are excused. Leave catching Pettigrew to me. Be sure to bring me the potion this evening and the evidence as well. Tell your friends to contact the authorities on my behalf."

Harriet nodded and practically raced out of the room. As soon as she was around the corner, she let out a breath that she didn't know she was holding.

McGonagall was going to catch Pettigrew. The drama was almost over!
She sank to the floor and focused on her breathing. Everything was going to be okay!

After a while she got up and went back to the common room feeling oddly lightheaded. Her friends were lounging around in their usual corner, looking only bored.

"Good News!" Harriet told them walking up. In a much quieter voice she added, "It should all be over tonight!"

"That's great!" Pansy cheered. "Now you won't be reading far into the night anymore! You can just sleep!"

"Excuse me? I've been putting off reading some fiction books for a long time! Don't think that I will be sleeping." Harriet laughed lightly at Pansy's face, "Exams are coming up as well. We can't forget those!"

The brunette groaned, putting her head in her hands. "You're making us go through bi-weekly study sessions again, aren't you?"

"Yeah," Harriet grinned. "At least Hermione will be there though. That means you don't have to bring your A-game every time. You can however still bring snacks!"

"Speaking of snacks," Draco interjected, "When was the last time you ate? You look kind of pale."

Harriet thought for a solid minute. That... that was a really good question.

"I think I ate breakfast?" she said.

"Sit down," Blaise said dragging her into the seat next to him and handing her some snacks. "Eat! What would your godfathers say?"

"He's right you know," Pansy said, "They'd be more worried about you than we are. You work too hard. I can't understand how you can obsess over problems like that. I don't think that's healthy!"

"Are you here to lecture me or make me eat something?" Harriet muttered around a mouthful of custard creams.

"Both, I think," Draco smirked.

"Traitor," Harriet huffed, kicking him.

At 7pm sharp, Harriet arrived at Professor McGonagalls office, potion and evidence in hand. She could hear through the door that the ministry was already there.

------------
Loving all the time I have to keep working on the story right now. I have a couple more chapter for this part but they should be up soon. It's the final countdown everyone!

Comment or leave a star. Thanks.

XOXO, Drachma