Chapter 2- Not Alone

Back at the compound, an argument was breaking out.
"How could he get away!?" Rhodey yelled.
"I don't know!" Bucky yelled back, "someone must have broke him out!"
"Well no shit!"
"Hey! Don't yell at him like that! It wasn't our fault!" Sam stepped in defensively, "Zemo wanted him, we stopped Zemo and then someone else got him!"
"Well now we have a criminal on the loose!"
"Well... they did capture another one, so technically the numbers are still the same-" Scott tried to say.
"Thats not the point Scott!" Rhodey was getting increasingly irritated, and they could all see this wasn't going to end well if it carried on.
"Hey, c'mon, let just take a breather, yeah?" Banner suggested, "Scott, could you?"
Scott nodded, directing Rhodey out the room.

Rhodey hadn't been the same since Tony's death, he'd grown more agitated frequently and have the occasional outbursts, unable to control them. Having to lead the team didn't help. He needed someone else to run it with him but he didn't want to let Tony down. If Tony could do it by himself, so could he.

"You alright man?" Scott asked once they were away from the others.
Rhodey ignored him, making his way down the hall.
"Is there anyone else who can help? Like they don't have to stay, but we need help. Is there anyone?"
"No."
"Thor?"
"With the Guardians."
"Dr Strange?"
"Dealing with inter-dimentional shit."
"Witch lady?"
"Same as Strange."
"Steve?"
"The moon."
"Captain Marvel?"
"In Space."
"The spider kid that beat my ass with a Star Wars reference?"
"Dealing with shit."
"Wakanda?"
"What?"
"Wakanda. Can they help? They'll want Zemo, right? Give them Zemo, then they'll help us with Red Skull..."
"You... you might be onto something..." Rhodey walked over to Scott, "tell the others what you just told me. I'll be in my room..."
"Wait what? But you're-"
"I need time alone. Go."
Scott hurried back to the others and told them their plan.

"Guys! We have a plan!" Scott burst in.
"Hmm?" Sam and Bucky stood suddenly, separating themselves, cheeks a light shade of red.

Banner already knew they were together, he helped whe whole thing happen, but they didn't know that Scott knew, and Scott didn't want to tell them how he knew; he was still terrified of Bucky's fist.

Scott explained the plan, ignoring how stupidly obvious they were being.
"That... that could work..." Banner said, looking at the couple for confirmation.
"Yeah... it could... how did Rhodey come up with that so quick?"
"It wasn't me," Rhodey came in, he'd had enough alone time. Being left with his own thoughts really wasn't the sort of comfort he was after, "Scott came up with it."
"Is that so I can get the blame if it all goes to Hell?"
"Can be," Rhodey said, cracking a smile.
"Jee, thanks," Scott said.
"Right, shall we head over to Wakanda then?" Sam asked.
"Yes, good idea," Proffesor Hulk said, "we'll take the quinjet, Rhodey, you up for flying?"
"Stupid question." Rhodey chuckled.
"Good. Don't want Sam flying, the last Captain America to fly a plane ended up frozen for 70 years." Bucky smiled.
"Only becuase you wouldn't be able to survive without me for more than 5 minutes," Sam punched Bucky playfully.
"Right," Rhodey said, "if you two stop flirting, we'll be on our way."

Sam and Bucky each exchanged a mildly concerned glance which read: does he know?
"Guys, I'm joking, c'mon."
They both let out a sigh of relief and made their way to get Zemo out of his temporary cell in the compound. They took him to the quinjet, and the rest of the Avengers piled in.