Chapter 2: The Meeting

As Delia still had the knowledge about where Charles and Lydia lived with her mother, she made sure to make sure that Betelgeuse and Lydia became friends. She knew that if they became friends, she could have an excuse to make Charles fall in love with her. Her plan was perfect, she knew that the two crazy children would become friends quickly considering how much they had in common. Delia managed to drag poor Betelgeuse on a walk in the park. He hated exercise and usually protested all morning about not wanting to go. This time was different, she had told the demon that she is taking him to get ice-cream and meet a new best friend. Once they got to the park Delia spotted Charles with a 7-year-old Lydia with her mother kicking leaves.

"Lydsie can you come here for sunscreen please? They heard Charles call Lydia over. The two watched and walked up to the family of three.

"Um hello, Mr. Deetz? I'm Delia Schlimmer." she introduced herself.

"Oh hello Mrs. Schlimmer, Pumpkin this is Mrs. Schlimmer and her son Betelgeuse." Charles introduced Betelgeuse to Lydia.

"That's a funny name mister, I'm called Lydia!" little Lydia said reaching out her hand to little Betelgeuse. He looked at his new mum silently asking what to do. She just pointed to her head showing he read her mind for what to do and he instantly shook Lydia's small hand. "Well technically that's only my middle name, it is named after the star of Orion which is the 10th brightest star in the sky!" Betelgeuse stated proudly.

"Ooh, you must be so lucky, Mom why can't I have a cool name like that?" the young female pouted.

"Well, I think Lydia is better than my first name, it's Lawrence!" Betelgeuse confessed. Lydia just started laughing at his name, so Betelgeuse started to chase her around the park. Both kids took off laughing with each other and having the time of their lives. It was clear they became friends rather quickly. Delia was glad he made a friend and burned all of the ice-cream off, he had problems getting excessively hyperactive with the smallest amount of sugar. Lydia had just been made fun of for not being tall enough to reach her bracelet people took of her. Despite being just a few inches taller than Lydia Betelgeuse stood up for her. He snatched back the bracelet and being Betelgeuse scared the evil bullies away. As the two got tired from all the running they decided to sit with the rest of the family. Betelgeuse, after getting permission from Charles, decided to tell Lydia the truth about him being a demon. Lydia was amazed, her face lit up and she pummelled her new best friend with questions to which he answered all of them, just leaving out the Juno part. Lydia dared Betelgeuse to summon and eat lots of beetles, being Betelgeuse, he did it with no hesitation. He even began to spin Lydia around until she was dizzy. As Betelgeuse began to get restless, he decided to go on a run around the park, carrying a laughing Lydia as he pretended to be a sandworm. As they got back and sat down, they decided to relax for five minutes. After the five minutes was up, chaos erupted again, Lydia began to run around on Betelgeuse's back for what appeared to be the twentieth time around the park.

"Okay, who wants to win 20 bucks?" Charles asked in an attempt to distract the two from the seemingly never-ending torture. Both 'B-F-F-F-F's' forever looked at each other then back to Charles and began nodding their heads rapidly. "Okay, you each get $20" Charles began holding some money to a tree before explaining the rules "All you have to do is keep the money on your heads, if you drop it, you lose it." he said and allowed the children to try to obtain the money. Both children placed their heads on the tree, ensuring they did not drop it, this is when Betelgeuse got a brilliant idea. Instead of using the tree he held the note in place with his hands. He gently tapped Lydia on the shoulder to get her attention. She giggled when she saw the demon's ingenious idea and imitated his thought process and they both sat down, still with the money on their heads.