Chapter 8: Comfort

(Flashback in bold)

"Oh my god!" Delia cried, her hand over her mouth trying to stop it.

"I'm sorry Delia!" said Barbara after pulling the life coach into a comforting hug.

"Both are gone and I'm never going to see them again!" Delia wept on her shoulder.

"It's alright Delia. I'm sure that little Beej is alright and going to pull through." Adam said comfortingly.

"Yeah! He is one tough cookie." Charles chuckled.

"Exactly. If he can cope 390 years with Juno as his mom, I'm sure he can pull through this!" Emily said assuredly.

"Let's go home! Come on!" Barbara wiped a tear from Delis's eyes and walked her out, holding her hand. They had to run to avoid being seen but they managed to get back home. Everyone's attention was drawn to a frightened whimper followed by a startled "BJ?" from upstairs.

"Um, guys, I think something's up," Delia remarked as she dashed to the attic, where she discovered Betelgeuse flailing on the floor, wrapped in a blanket. The poor demon was having yet another nightmare, this one quite realistic. His nightmares were considerably terrible than usual, and he was both chilly and heated at the same time and he was in a depressed state in general. Lydia immediately untangled him from the blanket, and Delia sat on the floor with him on her lap, calming him down, as the rest of the family rushed upstairs to check on him.

"Can you tell me what happened?" Barbara was the one who inquired. The black and gold haired demon couldn't respond so Lydia answered for him.

"Nightmare." Barbara touched his hair with her hand outstretched.

"I'm deeply sorry, sweetheart. What was it about, exactly?"

"My mother..." he murmured.

"It'll be okay!" Delia began massaging circles into the demon's back. "It's alright. Everything is fine. I've gotcha. You don't have to worry at all. We can and will fight her if she ever shows up." The demon child sniffed and nodded.

"You poor sweetheart..." Barbara let out a sigh. He was lovingly hugged by her and his mum, making him temporarily forget everything. Delia left the attic and came back holding some medicine they were given from the Neitherword doctor. Examining it, making sure that there was nothing wrong with it. She was about to give some to the demon before she hesitated.

"Don't worry Delia, I'm sure that there is nothing wrong with it!" Emily said supportively.

"But what if it isn't and what if she has done something else to it?"

"I almost forgot! Dr. Jekyll gave me these testing strips to make sure there was nothing wrong with it!" Delia smiled and tested the medicine, it was fine. She gave the demon some medicine and everyone laughed at his face once he took it. It clearly wasn't nice tasting. Charles picked up the demon and carried him down into the living room and sat on the sofa with him in his lap.

"Uncle Charles! I'm not a baby!" Betelgeuse chuckled.

"But you are to me and everyone here!"

"Yup! Sorry Beej!" Adam chuckled, sitting the demon in his lap and bopped the tip of Betelgeuse's nose who giggled slightly. The family handed the demon the remote and let him choose the film to watch. He tried to leave it as a surprise, but it didn't last for long as the familiar round of applause at the start of Les Misérables: The Staged Concert was instantly recognised. Lydia playfully punched Betelgeuse in the arm and said, "Trust you to pick less miserable Beej!"