Chapter 3: New Family

In her new room Lydia was talking to her Roomba humming around on the floor about her problems at school. Betelgeuse walked in meeting a Roomba for the first time and was baffled and widely amused. He asked curiously "What is this funny little ground disk and what does it do?"

"His name is DJ Roomba and he's my only friend." Lydia answered. Betelgeuse forcefully kicked the Roomba and was insulted by his little goth sister's harsh comment.

"I thought I WAS YOUR BEST FRIEND...?" Lydia went to hit Betelgeuse for breaking her Roomba as it was in fact her "only friend". Betelgeuse could see she was incredibly mad at him so he ran and hid underneath Lydia's bed to escape being hurt, he learned from his new Mother that he should run away if someone tried to hurt him. Half an hour later Delia learned about the incident and took her newly adopted son's side. She had previously told Lydia to make Betelgeuse understand he is all of their best friends. Lydia called to her life-coach "Delia! There's an ugly monster under my bed!". Delia walked in.

"Lydia! That's not how your father raised you!" she barked at Lydia "Come here BJ." she spoke softly to the demon. Instantly Betelgeuse came out from his hiding spot crying, running to hug his mother for reassurance.

"I-I'm not ugly" he said through crying. Delia hugged Betelgeuse and pointed directly at Lydia "You are the only monster in here". Betelgeuse and Delia walked out of the room and sat on the floor in the living room. He was still in tears after who he thought was his best friend confessed that a robot was her only friend. Barbara saw the upset demon and ran in with a blanket. She wrapped him up in it and brought him a mug of hot chocolate.

"There, there, it's alright." she said, comforting the depressed demon baby. Betelgeuse hugged his knees and took sips of his hot chocolate, not bothered that he was burning his mouth. Adam came rushing in having heard Betelgeuse crying.

"It's okay" he spoke softly to comfort and reassure his future spouse.

"Thanks A-dog and B-town, you'd be great soilmates to have!" Betelgeuse complemented. "Thanks Beej, you'd be a good soulmate to have as well." Adam replied with a smile thinking he meant soulmate.

"Soulmate?" Betelgeuse asked confusedly. "Um no I'm afraid you misheard. I said soilmate. I want someone to lay in the dirt with." he finished. Adam and Delia just chuckled and hugged the child. To say he was 17 he was still just like a child and everyone liked him that way and embraced the childish side to him.

"You know someone ran into me today and I fell over." Betelgeuse confessed, changing the topic. Barbara's eyes went wide with horror and anger, she ran over to the side of the room and picked up a bat.

"Who the hell needs to get BEAT'' she demanded.

"Jesus Christ Babs I'm sure it was an accident!!" Betelgeuse said in an attempt to calm down the angry blond-haired person.

"All actions have consequences. Sorry Beej I don't make the rules'' she informed. Betelgeuse just put a firm hand on the grip on the bat and took it from Barbara. He looked in her eyes.

"Thank you for your concern but you will literally die if you go outside with me." he said kindly. As his mother was mad at all six people, especially him, she had constantly made sure that there would sometimes be a sandworm outside waiting for them.

"That is a risk worth taking" Barbara challenged. Betelgeuse was smart and contradicted her counter argument.

"You have 100% chance of being eaten by a sandworm". Just this one time he was outsmarted.

"There are numbers bigger than 100!" she said stomping towards the door.

"NO!" Betelgeuse yelled just as she opened the door. To absolutely no one's surprise there was a sandworm outside the door. The snake-like creature's bright red eyes glowed in the Saturn sun, the black stripes made to look sparkling and the white stripes not visible due to the mass light it was reflecting. As it was Alison, who hated Betelgeuse unlike Big Sandy who was his pet, that meant this was more than a warning. Adam and Delia dragged the young female away from the sandworm. Rather quickly all of them were sitting in their seats, acting as if the whole incident had never happened. After he had gotten over Lydia's upsetting comment, Betelgeuse was ready to allow her to apologize to him. He still wasn't totally convinced but it was an excuse to get a hug. As he had been so touched starved by his mother, he treasured any cuddles he got. They were by far his favourite thing, if you started hugging him, you would be there for a while. He often needed to have cuddles in his life, especially after night terrors about his traumatic past life with his cruel mother. Adam could see that Betelgeuse was in one of his phases where he needs to feel loved.