Ironing Out The Details (21)

A/N there could be some mistakes in this so pls tell me if there are any. Btw does anyone want to beta read my chapters before I post them??

The revving of an engine woke Liam up from his light nap that he was taking on Mitch's couch. He sat up and rubbed his eyes to try and wake himself up, the nap had only lasted for 1 hour but felt like it had last 10 years.

Suddenly, the loud sound of a horn blasted into his ear and he jumped about 10 metres into the air before falling off of the couch and ending up in a crumpled heap on the floor. He rubbed the side of his body that had taken the brunt of the impact and he glared up at the perpetrator.

Liam opened his mouth to bare his wolf teeth before freezing up and looking sheepishly at Stan who was stood above him holding an air horn. Stan raised an eyebrow at the werewolf in a slightly challenging manner.

"You need to get your arse up, Mitch can get impatient and then you'll have to walk."

Liam nodded his head and scrambled onto his feet. He rushed over to the front door and slipped his shoes on before scrambling down the stairs and into the garage where Mitch was impatiently waiting for him.

As soon as Liam had climbed into the car, Mitch stepped on the accelerator and peeled out of the garage.

"Jesus fucking Christ Liam, you take forever to get ready. C'mon we've got to get going." Said Mitch, without even waiting for Liam's reply as the latter hastily grabbed at his seatbelt as he preferred himself alive, but it seemed Mitch's reckless driving had other ideas.

He swerved between the cars carelessly, narrowly avoiding a collision every time. Liam scrunched his eyes shut and braced his hand against the dash board. Mitch looked at Liam out of the corner of his eyes and smirked at the younger man's fear.

"Would you please stop your squirming and whimpering. You sound like a dog in heat." Taunted Mitch as he smirked at Liam's behaviour. Liam said nothing but blushed a brilliant cherry red that he would later claim was a response to the heat.

"We know that Scott is on edge because of all the shit that's going on right now so you must do your best not to anger him in case he reacts badly." Said Mitch, glancing over at Liam, who had stopped fidgeting and was now staring intensely at the road in front of him, almost as though he was spaced out, but Mitch knew that he was listening intently.

"If you wear the ring on your dominant hand it will probably make life easier for you. You need to try and get as close to him as you can without trying to force it, as that will look suspicious. A small scratch should be enough to sedate him for 10 minutes. The sedative should work in about 10 seconds and hopefully Scott won't remember that it was you that caused his blackout."

"Ok but I don't like the word 'hopefully'. What happens if he does remember that I caused his blackout? I'm not you, I won't be able to just murder him." Mitch's eyes hardened and his knuckles turned white as he clenched his hands against the steering wheel, Liam's sensitive hearing picked up the sound of his teeth grinding against each other. Liam winced.

"Is that what you think of me? That I'm some kind of heartless killer?" Asked Mitch. The words were quiet and deceptively calm, a mask perfected over a decade. Even though Mitch would never even dream about telling Liam how much his words hurt him, he couldn't deny that they did. Maybe Loki wasn't so wrong. Maybe love, both romantic and familial, really was a dagger; a weapon to be yielded with care.

Liam looked at Mitch and his eyes softened slightly. "I don't think you are heartless. You can't be, I've seen the way you look at Newt and a heartless person wouldn't be capable of this emotions. But you can't deny that you are a killer. You are the American Assassin. Fearless, cold, deadly."

Mitch appreciated Liam's honesty but that doesn't mean that it didn't hurt just as much as if he had lied to him. He knew what he was, the reputation that he could not escape from, a reputation tediously earned. Being feared deterred the wannabes that looked for a bit of glory, but it fed the sharks that hunted to kill. Power invites conflict; you cannot have one without the other and that was Mitch's burden to bare. Around every corner, in every shady alleyway, there could be a someone who wanted him dead. The paranoia of becoming the prey was a weight on Mitch's mind but it was a weight that had kept him alive. Fear breeds caution, something that had allowed Mitch to survive as long as he had.

"I know that I might not have a job that requires a long list of morals but I'm doing it for good reasons. I mean, if you could kill one man and prevent him from killing a thousand other people, you would do it. Even though you think that murder is wrong, you would much rather have 1 death of your conscience than 1000." Mitch said, carefully picking his words.

Liam nodded along to what Mitch was saying, it seemed that Mitch's plan worked. "Well I suppose when you word it like that..." Liam trailed off, unsure of what to say next. He was brought out of his thoughts when Mitch pulled up to the side of the ride so that the Mustang was hidden behind some very inconspicuous bushes.

"Well then, we can talk about me going to Hell later but for now you should get going." Said Mitch, still looking out of the car and checking for any hazards. "Go now before anyone spots me here. " Ordered Rapp, his mind completely focused on the job at hand.

Liam opened the door of the car, muttered a quiet 'bye' and made his way to Scott's front door.

A/N
Hey guys! I'm sorry that I was so inactive for the past couple of weeks but I had to prioritise my exams at school. I've now finished all of them so I'm hoping to fall back into my normal routine and update more regularly.

Also can we just talk about how the Loki show is 🤌.

Btw I also just finished reading The Song Of Achilles and I don't think I've ever cried like I did once I'd finished it.

Thank you for your continued support, it means so much ❤️❤️

Edit: in case yall hadn't realised I haven't updated in ages. I'm currently on holiday (vacation) in Greece so I don't really have time to write more. SORRY 😢