(19) Secrets, Lies and Love

Chapter 19 

I know that it has been mentioned that LeAnn Thomas is my favorite author. I have read all of her books multiple times and I even attempted to write a report on her for English class in junior year but I couldn't find any information on her anywhere. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get anything. When one of your inspirations is standing right in front of you, you have the right to pass out. 

I didn't faint. I just stood there staring at her. On the outside I probably looked like an empty shell. On the inside, however, I was freaking out. This was always my dream. And now, it was within my grasp. 

Chris sauntered over to me, put his arm around my back, and ushered me forwards. 

"Andy, this is my mom, Jennifer. Mom, this is Andy, my girlfriend," he said. 

My heart thudded to a near stop when he said Jennifer. 

"It's nice to meet you Andy," she said politely, holding out her hand. 

I grabbed it to shake, "Nice to meet you too." The disappointment in my voice could be clearly heard. I just hoped that it was only to me that it was so clear. 

"You look familiar dear. Who are your parents?" she asked casually. 

"Lyn and George Johnson," I informed her. 

"The lawyers?" 

"That's them." 

She pulled me into a huge hug and held on tight. 

"Your parents were a godsend to me." 

"Oh, I see," I said, assuming she was someone they had defended. 

"No, dear. I see what you are thinking. In my case, they prosecuted." 

I remember that case. It was two years ago when my parents went to California for two months. There were prosecuting a case where a husband was beating his wife. They had originally been asked by the husband to defend him. My parents, however, were so disgusted with the man that they went to work, pro bono, for the wife. The conclusion of the trial was that the husband went to jail for a long time. A divorce was also granted. 

"I am so sorry I jumped to conclusions," I apologized. 

"That is quite all right," she assured me. "I understand I was a strange case for them." 

"Yes, but it was the best one they ever took." 

"I can't help but agree. Now, how about some breakfast." 

We sat down to the sweet aroma of pancakes. I filled my plate with those and then also some scrambled eggs and sausage. 

I told Jennifer about school and work. When I asked her what she did, she looked up at me and smiled, "I write books." 

My fork clattered onto my plate. I was so hoping to not be disappointed again. 

"What kind of books do you write?" I asked slowly. 

"Some romance books and the occasional mystery/thriller," she slyly informed me. 

"LeAnn Thomas is just a pen name, isn't it?" I had a slow smile forming on my face. 

"Yes, it is." 

I just sat in my chair thinking. I was eating breakfast with the woman who inspired me. My boyfriend's mother is my favorite author. 

"Andy," Chris said to get my attention. "Are you all right?" 

"Give me a minute to let this set in."