(14) Secrets, Lies and Love

Chapter 14

Recap:

After school let out I had to go to work. Drew and I drove home and then I got my car and left for work. I was upset that I couldn't do homework while I was working. If we weren't busy, I sometimes pulled out a textbook to do some reading that was due the next day.

Throughout my shift, my bad mood slowly got better and I became calmer. This was in great part thanks to Kyle. "Lil Boy" could always make me laugh. By the time I made it home, I had calmed down completely. When I had finished my homework, it was twelve-thirty. I changed for bed and for the second night in a row, I fell asleep almost instantly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I woke up the next morning I took a shower, put on some sweat pants and a t-shirt, and threw my hair up into a messy bun. I didn't really feel like putting my all into my looks. As I was getting ready I was thinking about how I reacted to everything that happened yesterday. I probably shouldn't have gotten mad at Chris for telling the guys what happened between me and Mike. He didn't know how the guys felt about him and what he did to me. I came to the conclusion that I should apologize to him when I see him today.

After I got ready I went downstairs to the kitchen and opened the cupboards for something to eat. I saw that there was a box of Fruit Loops so I quickly grabbed them and got a bowl, spoon, and the milk out of the fridge. When I took that first delicious Fruit Loopy bight I was in bliss. I was so into eating my cereal that I didn't hear my brother come into the room.

"Oh no! She has found the cereal," Drew said dramatically.

"Haha, you are so funny I cannot stop laughing."

"Aww, baby sis, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?"

"As a matter of fact," I started to say proudly, and then realized that I may have, I mumbled, "you are probably right."

"Bad night at work?" he asked.

"Nah, just woke up crabby I guess." I was finished with my cereal at this point to I walked out of the kitchen after rinsing out my bowl.

I grabbed my backpack that I put by the door on my way down the stairs earlier. I walked outside. If we lived closer to school I would most definitely have walked all the way there. But, when you live in a tiny village seven miles away, that isn't exactly logical.

The town of New Munich currently has 356 people residing in it. It is a typical central Minnesota town of German decent. We have one Catholic Church that you will find half the town in on Sunday mornings at 8:15. Along with that one church there are two bars. One is named Shady's and the other is called the Hofbrau. Anyone else see the connection New Munuch:Hofbrau and Munich(Germany):Hofbrauhaus? Along with these establishments there are various other businesses: a post office, gas station/convenience store, a lumber yard, and etc. There is never anything to do in such a small town.

I waited for Drew to come out of the house before we left for school. The whole ride there was quiet. I was still reflecting on what Michael said to me. He is sorry for what he did. I understand that as a teenage guy he has urges, but to do what he did just pushes my buttons the wrong way. Before I knew it we were at school. When we walked inside Drew walked up to the guys but I went straight to my locker. After I put my things away I went in search of Chris. When I found him he was in the library at the table we were at yesterday.

"Hey Chris," I said coming up behind him and sitting in one of the chairs.

"Listen Andy, I am sorry about telling the guys about Mike yesterday. I didn't know they would react like that."

"It's okay Chris. I overreacted about it. You wouldn't have known about the guys wanting to beat him."

"So you forgive me then?" he asked sheepishly.

"Of course I do. What kind of girlfriend would I be if I didn't?" I asked sarcastically.

"Do you know what would make me feel better?" he asked.

"I think that I have an idea," I said while leaning closer to him and giving him a chaste kiss. We couldn't deepen it because, after all, we were in our school's library and our principal, Mr. Doetkott (pronounced dut-cut), does not appreciate public displays of affection. But, even that little peck was enough to sends sparks flying through my neurons.

The warning bell rang and we headed to Chemistry. Today was another lab so Chris and I got to talk all class. During the lab Chris asked me why I always call Mike, Michael. I explained to him that when were seeing each other we each called the other by something that nobody else would call us. He called me Ria and I called him Cale. These were our pet names for each other because I hated being called babe and other little names. When we split up I refused to use his pet name because there was still intimacy behind it. I also didn't even want to be friends with him so I would not call him Mike. So I went by his given name and called him Michael.

All that Chris said to this was, "Oh."

After school I went out to sit on the bleachers by the football field to wait for Drew to get done with practice. Chris would have given me a ride home but he said that he had some things to take care of. I didn't want to push him to know what they were so I just let him go home. But not before getting another spark inducing kiss.

Practice ran late for the guys because they thought they could be cocky after their win on Friday and they figured they didn't have to give there all for practice. Coach Decan didn't think too much of this. They got an earful at the end of practice and had to run 2 laps around the track for their slacking off. During their two and a half hour practice I worked on some homework that was due the next day.

When Drew and I got home, he went to shower while I began making dinner. Our parents had to leave to go and work on another case. This case was for an actor who swears that he was completely sober when he crashed his car into another car. My parents will either get him completely off or, the worst case scenario will be that he will have to do ten hours of community service. What a hard life for a guy to have.

For supper I made tator-tot hot dish that Drew ate half of. Dinner for us is always a quiet affair. Most of the time I am reading one of my books or listening to my iPod while he is turned towards the T.V. watching the latest sports scores on ESPN. I sometimes am interested in this too but my books are more interesting. I am only interested in the sports news when it was to do with my teams: the Vikings or the Twins.

After supper Drew washed the dished while I went up to my room to work on the rest of my homework. When I was don't I went out onto my balcony with a blanket and the latest book to read. As per usual, I spent three hours reading. This latest book was a teen book by a really amazing author. It was not a vampire or werewolf related book. Those were starting to get on my nerves.

At some point while I was reading I fell asleep. I was awakened by Drew picking me up and bringing me into my room. He laid me in my bed and covered me up.

"Thanks, Drew," I said to him.

"No problem, Andy" he said back to me.

He shut off my light, shut my door, and left me in the darkness. For the first time in I don't know how long, I was able to go to sleep and not have any worries floating in my head.