Chapter 2

Had Henry known that Fanny's affections were already engaged by the steadfast character he was on the point of visiting, he would have been shocked, and maybe not a little disheartened. For how could a man ever compete with the familiarity of someone who had been in her life for nearly a decade, and whose moral standards and natural delicacy were so decidedly above his own? Who had had years to gain her affection, and had always actively improved her happiness by doing everything in his power to help her. Income could not be of any importance with her simple needs, familiarity was everything to her.

Of course, Edmund loved another, had never in his life considered thinking of his shy and self-deprecating cousin in that way, convinced as he was that in a marriage tempers should differ at least to some extent, therefore setting his sights on a more lively character than his own, and certainly not an even more quiet one. The fact remained, that the only way Henry would ever stand a chance with his beloved Fanny, would be if Edmund married someone else.

With her low self-esteem, and the constant neglect of her wishes and needs at Mansfield Park and now at her parents' in Portsmouth, she did not need the expectation of Edmund ever returning her affection to keep her love for him thriving. That would have been an honor beyond her comprehension, even allowing herself to fantasise about him loving her would induce self-recrimination for stepping above her station.

No, as long as Edmund was free, Fanny would love him without ever expecting anything in return but a kind word and some interference on her behalf to promote her welfare or secure her some pleasure that would otherwise pass her by.

Of course Henry knew nothing of Fanny's predisposition, and he kept wondering why even his best efforts didn't seem to have any influence on the object of his affections. But he might be well on his way to promoting his own happiness by calling on Bertram to share his feelings of discouragement and maybe help him win Mary's affection.

Fortunately Fanny did not know anything of all this, she was just relieved to have seen Mr Crawford leave, with his hints of their future together, and his compliments on her person, and the constant fear of her relations falling into their usual disgusting behavior, embarrassing her even further. Though she had found a certain pleasure in talking about Mansfield Park, the people in it, the scenery, with someone who knew them all, she could not wish him to stay any longer.

His general behavior did seem to have improved, he was more gentle and obliging, and much less oppressively lively this time, his manners towards her family engaging and free of implications and open display of affection towards her. They had had a few moments of common interest, in the admiration of the beauty of the scenery and nature, and he seemed genuinely concerned about her health. She hoped his report would reach Edmund, resulting in some communication from her cousin to herself. Though she dreaded the news of his betrothal, knowing nothing at all was even worse.

Crawford, meanwhile, had indeed found a warm welcome within the Bertram's town-house. Of course Tom was staying there as well, but he saw little of the elder brother, having met him just long enough for a superficial greeting, before Tom was off again to a dinner-party at some friend's house. Henry could not help but notice that the future baronet looked decidedly the worse for wear. His life of constant partying and loose pleasures must be taking its toll on his body, for he looked pale and fagged, and so unnaturally jolly that it was painful to behold.

Tom's eyes were bleary, with dark circles below them, and his shape was not as trim as it used to be, his posture sloppy and his stomach distended with the signs of abuse of spirits. This was no sportsman, and Henry thought that if Mary could but see Tom in his current state, she would be struck with the superiority of his younger brother all over again, in looks, but also in strength of character and principle, which he supposed Mary must value above a large income when all was said and done.