Chapter 18

That night in bed, headstill spinning with all the impressions she had gotten the last threedays, Fanny reminisced about how she had changed from the timiddependent niece to a self assured young woman on the brink ofmarriage. Henry had certainly delivered on his promise to help herconquer her grief, and her loneliness, he had given her consequenceand his undivided love. And now he had given her an insight in citylife, and a wonderful time as well. She had never in her life seen somuch of her cousin, with him in such good spirits and with so littlepain or embarrassment attached to their togetherness. Edmund was somuch happier as well as herself. And did she dare say it was allthanks to Henry?

Not all, for Edmund hadchosen his marriage partner himself, but Fanny had not beeninattentive to the hints going from Henry to Edmund from time totime, looks and gestures leading to intimacies and certaingallantries that would be very appropriate and welcome at certaintimes. Fanny was sure it had helped Edmund to feel more secure in hisrelation with a fashionable young woman.

Be it as it may, Fannyfelt no regret in not having loved Henry earlier in theiracquaintance, but she was certainly very happy to love him now. Herlife had improved manifold, and it was on the brink of getting evenbetter.

She remembered his pridewhen she wore the new dresses in public for the first time. She hadfelt like a queen, never having owned such pretty clothes before, herfigure and new bloom were shown to real advantage, her uprightposture and gentle manners, now enhanced with self-assurance andfaith in the world, turned heads in both men and women wherever theywent.

Of course Henry wasthrilled, he had known Fanny would look great in brighter colours anda more modern pattern dress, but the result stunned even him. He hadnearly sunk to his knees to worship her, and only the knowledge thatshe would abhor such a gesture had made him battle his inclination,and instead kiss her hand with fervour. He'd try to kiss her necklater, whenever they would have a little time to themselves.

There were three newdresses, one for every night, and every night Henry had the pleasureof walking beside the most beautiful woman in the assembly, at leastin his mind. But it must be said that he was only slightly blinded bylove, Fanny was in fact one of the better looking women everywherethey went.

Driving towards MansfieldPark with their minds elated and their bodies still tired from theirintense three days in London, they had plenty to talk about. The lastthree weeks had caused them to become very close to one another,helped of course by the fact that they had each already been veryclose to at least one of the party. Fanny found such comfort andwelcome in their little group, that she regretted the break-up thatwould follow their respective marriages. But unless Henry would finda living for Edmund on his own estate, or he would lease Everinghamand hire a manor closer to Thornton Lacy, the separation would beinevitable. Still they made the most of the time they had lefttogether, and before they knew it they were approaching MansfieldPark once again.

They received a warmwelcome from aunt Bertram and Sir Thomas, aunt Norris didn't evenshow up, which no-one in the party rued. And who can describe Fanny'sincredible surprise when saw Susan standing behind her uncle?

It was his surprise forFanny, to have her sister present at the wedding. Discussing thewedding with Sir Thomas, Henry had mentioned Fanny would want hersister to be with her, and Sir Thomas had remembered and sent forher. Susan had already acquainted herself to Mansfield Park and allits inhabitants, and she had made herself very useful to her auntBertram, who really did miss Fanny's attentions a lot.

Being engaged would meanthat her bond to Susan could never be as close as it had been inPortsmouth, but Fanny still saw opportunities to help her improve herlife and her prospects, having a home of her own soon she mightreceive her sister there, if Henry agreed. But before she could askhim, aunt Bertram revealed her own intentions: 'Susan and I havetaken a great liking to one another, and Pug adores her, so I haveasked herself and Sir Thomas if she can stay after the wedding, as acompanion to me, and they have both agreed. If I cannot have you,Fanny, I'll be glad to have your sister around.'