Chapter 8

They took a nice walk that afternoon, and wrote a letter each, Fanny to her sister and Henry to his own, and they resolved to mail them tomorrow, making the post-office the goal of an afternoon walk. After dinner, Fanny went straight to bed, and Henry sat with Sir Thomas for a while, detailing on how their engagement had come about, only leaving out Edmund's part in it. Sir Thomas took it upon himself to tell Fanny's aunts of the engagement, and to protect her from their unreasonable demands. Aunt Norris took it badly, of course, but aunt Bertram was thrilled to have her niece make such an advantageous marriage.

The next morning they rode out together, Fanny on Edwards mare, who was as well-tempered as ever, and Henry on one of Edmund's hunters, a feisty mare that needed more exercise than the staff could offer her.

And here Fanny again experienced the advantage of high spirits and a fearless outlook on life, for Edmund's hunter mare did her best to spook at anything, and tried several times to test Henry's mettle, but he just laughed at her antics and controlled her gently and fearlessly, riding large circles around Fanny and her placid horse.

The hunter mare had soon spent her excess energy, and with the excellent example of Fanny's horse before her she became more sedate, and they continued their ride together.

Fanny had been very much alarmed by the spooking horse, but when Henry didn't seem to care and nothing happened, she quieted again. She had never seen a horse behave like that, but of course she had never ridden with anyone besides the old stable hand who always accompanied her on her rides, and who rode a horse as good-natured as her own.

And to be honest, this fact sowed the first doubt about Edmund in her developing mind, for why had he never taken her along on one of his rides, why had he never shown her any of the sights within riding distance? He had ridden with Miss Crawford, but never with herself.

And Mr Crawford had been the only one to ever visit her in Portsmouth, and he had sent her a long letter before Edmund ever wrote her one.

Fanny had never expected any of these things because she rated her own claims too low for them, but somehow it didn't feel right anymore, how much trouble would it have been to include her in some of the fun he used to have with the young set? It would have prepared her so much better for her life, she might have met some friends of her own age. But she had always been left with the aunts, and he had set things to right afterwards, but he never thought of them beforehand, except that one time they went to Sotherton.

Her first critical thoughts ever on Edmund were broken by Henry, who suggested they go a bit faster than a trot, up and over the next hill. She looked at him aghast, she had never galloped before, the very thought had always scared her. Henry saw her look, and laughed merrily, and he pleaded her to at least try, not too fast, and he would stay with her all the way. Instead of oppressive, she now found his high spirits contageous, and though still afraid, she agreed to try.

He showed her how to change the gait, and off they were, the jolting movement smoothing out, and the speed increasing without making it harder to stay in the saddle. It was exhilirating, and she was amazed to see Henry looking at her over his shoulder, his mare choosing that moment to try one more time, shooting ahead like a bow from an arrow. He controlled her again, and with a look of pure joy on his face he was next to her again.

'Come on, let's go faster,' he pushed her, and she did, stuck to the mare like a burr, her hair streaming behind her, feeling the movement of the legs and the pumping of the mare's chest beneath her, up the hill in heartbeat. On the top Henry checked his horse's speed to a stride, and Fanny's mare followed suit, not a spirited creature herself and glad for a rest after such a burst of speed.

Henry asked: 'Did you like that?' She nodded, and said: 'I never dared to go that fast, but I'm glad I did now. It was exhilirating.'

He smiled and looked right at her: 'Are you holding up, not too tired?' and as she shook her head, 'we shouldn't go too far, you have not ridden in weeks, and never so far, you'll be stiff as a board as it is. Let's sit on this hill for a few moments, and then return.'