Chapter 13

With her newly found confidence, Fanny already planned to give her cousin a few hints about the physical side of his relationship with Mary, the very first time he would talk to her with any privacy. Which she guessed would be sooner rather than later, for she could already see signs in him that he was approving of her intimacy with Mary, and looking for an opportunity to seek her out himself.

But first she sought out her newly found love, and stood behind him for a moment, resting her hand on his shoulder and listening in on his conversation with Sir Thomas.

The latter had by now sensed something had changed between the two of them, when they had returned from Everingham the night before he had found Fanny even more physically improved, very stable in her manners, almost outspoken and incredibly self-assured, yet not without her usual gentleness and general pleasantness, and both young people still painfully correct in their behaviour to one another, not yet like real lovers.

Then this morning she had been nervous again, and Edmund anxious, even scared in his greeting of his parents. The young people had all met in the shrubbery, and Edmund and Miss Crawford had returned in an excellent mood. And now his niece and Mr Crawford were different somehow, less correct but much more easy, searching the other out when separated and exchanging certain looks across the table, touching the other delicately when close. Dared he hope the deal had finally been struck? If so, he'd better start planning two weddings, hopefully both from his own house.

Henry and Sir Thomas had been discussing the weather and the progress of crops, and Sir Thomas clearly approved of young Crawford's knowledge of the situation on his own property. 'Miss Price and I have been checking on all my farms during our visit, and all the tenants were very pleased with the way things looked. I've seen several situations that may be improved on, but that will have to wait until next planting season,' Henry observed to his host. Sir Thomas was impressed, and he enquired: 'Wasn't that very fatiguing, dear Fanny, sitting in a carriage all day?'

She was happy to reply in her sweet, clear voice, stronger now and less doubting: 'Oh no, Sir, we visited only a few farms each day, and we went on horseback, and took enough breaks to rest the horses and eat properly. Mr Crawford still takes very good care I eat well at every mealtime.' They exchanged a fond look, Sir Thomas was sure she had learned to love him from that look, and he silently congratulated himself, but said: 'Do you keep a proper lady's horse on your estate then, Mr Crawford, one suitable for my niece?'

Here, Henry could not suppress a triumphant smile, as he replied: 'I did not before, Sir Thomas, but it was my pleasure to have one found and purchased by my coach-man as a surprise to Fanny when she visited Everingham. She needs the exercise and we found it very pleasant to combine both activities.' And Fanny added: 'He is such a sweet creature, uncle, the grey gelding Henry got me. I never felt so safe as riding him, and yet he likes going fast, and taking obstacles. Beautiful too.' She actually suppressed an urge to kiss Mr Crawford there, Sir Thomas was sure.

He said: 'That is a very valuable and attentive gift, young man, and I can clearly see my niece was very happy to receive it. Thank you very much for taking such good care of her.' Henry accepted this compliment with a polite bow, and they continued to discuss the value of a good horse, and lines of breeding, and other details that didn't interest Fanny very much, so she sought out her cousin, and found a very warm welcome at his side.

He took her hand in his, and looked at her with intense love, saying in a low voice: 'You have no idea how happy it makes me to see you two together, my dearest Fanny. He has exceeded even my wildest expectations in his care for you.' Though his obvious feelings for her did give her a little thrill, she felt no sadness, and she realised she felt honoured that he showed his affection to her so obviously, when Mary experienced a lack of expression of his feelings to herself. It must be familiarity, he must be afraid to appear coarse or respectless to Mary, or maybe he was just shy towards his sophisticated fiancée.