7

Kate had spent most of her evening at Steve's flat, panicking. They had poured over Jo's file and hunted for social media's, only to find the bare minimum of information.

However, they had concluded that Saturday was April 22nd, and that just so happened to be Jo's birthday. The DCI hadn't mentioned it to Kate, yet she'd agreed to spend the weekend with her.

"What am I meant to do? Maybe she doesn't like her birthdays but I want to make it a good day for her!" Kate was on pint of beer number 7, something she'd regret tomorrow.

"Get someone on the team to bring up birthdays. That DS Lomax guy seems invested in yours and Davidson's relationship, ask him. Then see how she reacts."

It was surprising to hear good advice from Steve, as he was usually the one digging holes but Kate welcomed it brightly.

"That's a really good idea, mate!" The DI simply rolled his eyes.

"Always the tone of surprise." It was easy to forget the pair were detectives, excellent ones as well but they certainly had their moments.

"So, what do I do if she doesn't like birthdays?" Her tone was mellow now, slightly apprehensive too.

"You teach her to like them. Don't go too big, it'll scare her but just a present and invite her over for some wine. And if she does like them, take her for a meal.." Kate nodded at the suggestion, taking it on board.

"Just be gentle with her. You don't know when she might turn on you."

Kate rolled her eyes and took a large sip of denial. Steve decided to move swiftly on, aware that the DI wouldn't change her mind without enough proof.

The friends talked into the early hours of the morning again, hardly mentioning Jo but they both had to admit it was nice for the sense of normality.

—————————————————————————

"I was thinking we could make it a tradition to buy a cake for every officer in the station on their birthdays. It would be a nice personal touch." Chris admitted as they gathered for their daily briefing.

Kate didn't even need to bribe him. Chris had accepted immediately, something that confused the DI slightly but she was grateful.

"What?" Jo's head snapped up from the file she was reading.

"I don't know, I just think it would be sweet. Who doesn't love birthdays?" Chris continued his facade until Jo grumbled.

"Me." She thought it had been subtle but every head turned in her direction.

"Look, you can all organise it amongst yourselves, but leave me out of it." She ordered before pushing herself out of her seat and disappearing into her office.

"Okay... well that didn't go the way I wanted it to. I expected it though." Kate smiled sadly to herself, casting a brief glance at the closed office door. 'Jo always has her office door open.' Kate noted.