8

A drink soon became three and the pair only stopped because they didn't want to arrive at the restaurant already drunk.

"We better get going." Jo announced, placing her empty wine glass on the table, leaning backwards again. Kate fought to tear her gaze from the DCI and instead stared absentmindedly into the abyss of her apartment.

She feigned a pathetic attempt to observe her phone, as if gauging the time, before willing herself to focus her attention towards Jo.

"You're right. I've got an Uber picking us up out the front in about 5 minutes. I'm assuming we'll be coming back to mine afterwards, so feel free to leave whatever you don't want to take." She proffered, slipping some black heels onto her feet.

"I think it would be rude to leave you behind." Jo's humour crept into the conversation, Kate dismissed it with a soft chuckle.

"Nah, you want me." She playfully punched the elder woman's shoulder as she mumbled under her breath, yet not quietly enough,

"You're right about that one." Her tone was suggestive and the DI felt her cheeks deepen in colour.

Deciding it was probably safest to discard that conversation where it was and blame the alcohol, Kate drew herself to her feet and located her handbag, which was hanging by the front door.

Picking her coat up in the process, she cast a soft smile at the woman who was following behind her. "Ready?"

Jo nodded and slipped her coat over her shoulders. Kate couldn't resist a frown as her skin became covered.

The journey to the restaurant wasn't too long, eliminating the margin for potentially awkward conversations. They were immediately shown to their tables as Jo mumbled the name she had given to the restaurant.

The DCI was certainly correct when she pointed out that the restaurant was fancy. Kate suddenly felt very out of place, despite being well-dressed enough.

They were seated near a window, yet secluded from a majority of guests. This was a similar setup to their usual position in the bar.

"Ladies, what can I get you to drink?" A waiter arrived at the side of their table, a cold smile on his lips.

"I'll have a wine... Jo?" Kate smiled hesitantly, feeling somewhat on edge with the presence.

"Same for me." The waiter quickly disappeared as the pair began to settle into each other's company. Conversation was easy, there was always something to talk about with very few awkward moments, usually a result of flirting taken too far.

Kate had ordered a steak, an unsurprising choice in Jo's mind. The DCI had settled for chicken in a white wine sauce. Kate also found this choice predictable.

The waiter shortly arrived with two glasses in his hands. The beverages were a sage green, ice pooling in the bottom of each glass. "Someone sent these to you." He stated coldly, void of emotion. The glasses were delicately placed on the table, in front of the two women.