10

"DI Fleming?" A voice echoed behind the closed office door that Kate had entrapped herself within.

Tearing her thoughts from the monitor screen, she mumbled a soft "Come in." The DC on the other side hesitantly emerged into view. "What do you want?" She asked as soon as the woman entered fully.

"They're ready for you." She mumbled, Kate sighed heavily.

"Okay. I'll be there in a minute." The woman made herself scarce, clearly adhering the advice from her peers that DI Kate Fleming was the most unapproachable officer in the station at the moment.

She hurriedly turned her monitor off before grabbing her handbag. "Here goes nothing." She mumbled as the memory of the past few days flooded her brain again.

"Kate. She's gone. You need to let go now." Steve pleaded, his hand delicately resting on the DI's shoulder.

"NO! I'm not letting go of her. I need her. I..." She trailed off, the realisation becoming too daunting.

"Kate... there's nothing you could have done. But we need to get the scene cleared." She knew he was right, there was no point in staying around over her dead lover's corpse. They weren't even lovers. They never got that far.

Finally resigning into Steve's grasp, she allowed herself to be hauled to her feet.

The next few hours were a blur, it mainly consisted of her curling up in the corner of the interview room she had more or less labelled home. Steve tried to comfort her, but it was useless. She was inconsolable.

———————————————————

What Steve failed to mention, was the fact paramedics flooded into the warehouse mere seconds after Kate had been pried away.

To absolutely nobody's surprise, Jo was stronger than a bullet. After 25 minutes of continuous CPR, a pulse was felt. It was weak, very weak, but there nonetheless.

She was whisked to the nearest hospital in the back of an ambulance, Kate completely oblivious to the situation.

17 hours of surgery later, Davidson was dismissed to the trauma ICU, alive and stable. Due to the vast blood loss, the doctors were apprehensive as to when, or if, the DCI would awake.

———————————————————

"Kate." Steve's voice drew the DI back to reality as they slipped into Steve's AC-12 issued vehicle.

"Yeah. I'm ready." She mumbled. The car ride was eerily silent, the friends hadn't experienced a time where they truly had nothing to discuss. Steve had been informed that Davidson had woken from the medically induced coma she was previously enduring.

He hadn't heard their conversation as the DCI slipped away from consciousness, therefore was apprehensive to inform his best friend of the circumstances. As far as she was aware, they were on their way to another police station who were collecting witness statements as a result of the fatalities.