9

HUGE TW

Jo blinked ferociously as light swept across her eyes. Trying to adjust to the stark contrast in brightness, she hungrily gasped for air. The bag over her head had greatly restricted her oxygen intake.

She could hear voices muttering, in what appeared to be a separate room.

"Where's the other one?" A deep voice growled, seeming very impatient. Jo still hadn't fully come to her senses, so everything wasn't making much sense.

"I don't know, boss. She fled." Another voice reciprocated, one that was more familiar. Jo squinted slightly, trying to place it.

Gasping with realisation, the events of the evening flooded back. Her and Kate had gone for a meal. The waiter seemed odd. The suspicious drinks. Then Kate had just left her. She drank both glasses. The struggle in the alleyway. Darkness.

Suddenly, everything made a lot more sense. Kate had set her up. That's why she had suggested taking the DCI out and accepted the meal invitation warmly. It helped her. No wonder she was so desperate for Jo to drink the alcohol before promptly fleeing.

Sighing deeply, she accepted her humiliation. She really thought things could be different. Now she was going to die because she trusted some straight copper.

Her sigh had alerted the kidnappers of her consciousness. They crept into the main warehouse, both wearing smiles laced with malice. Jo immediately recognised the slimmer one as the waiter who had served their drinks.

"I hope I'm not expected to pay for those drinks." She spat, once they were close enough.

"Of course not dear. You won't have time to access your money." Jo refused to show any emotions, she knew she had been brought here to die. She was a dead woman walking at this point and was pleasantly surprised she had made it so far.

"Okay." She nodded passively, showing no care at all.

Both men exchanged puzzled looks. They probably weren't used to their hostages being willing to die.

"Before you ask, I'm not suicidal. Just accepting of the fact that my life simply comprises of one worst case scenario after another." Jo explained, her eyes a chilling chocolate.

Once again, the men dressed head to toe in black, were speechless.

—————————————————————-

Kate had eventually drifted into a fitful sleep, after constant hours of fretting. Her head was hunched on the desk, back scrunched slightly.

"Kate?" Steve's soft voice shook the woman from another nightmare.

"Hey... its Steve. You're okay." He assured as Kate squirmed under his grip, barely conscious.

"Jo?" She grumbled softly, prizing her eyes open.

"Nothing yet. We'll find her though" As Kate's eyes opened fully, Steve realised that's not why she mumbled the DCI's name.