3. Who Said the Bad Boy Didn't Care

I was on my way home from school after a long day. Griffin, as usual, continued to pop in and annoy me from time to time, but so long as he keeps his distance from my home life -aka my parents- I can put up with it (even if he was starting to get on my last nerve). Besides, after realize what a bore I am I'm sure he'll go back to his usual groupies/the entire female population of Andover High.

But enough about Griffin. It was finally Friday and I was enjoying the fact I wouldn't have to see him for a whole two and half days. And if luck was on my side, my parents wouldn't bombard me with the topic of guys the entire weekend. After all, we've hardly been here a week. How fast could they even find someone?

I walked in the front door finally feeling good since we moved. I mean sure, the temperatures were colder than my sun-kissed California skin was used to, but I still felt right at home after finally coming back to where I grew up (even if I did miss shorts and tank top weather, and just the sun in general).

I walked through the hallway until I made my way to the kitchen to grab a quick snack. After realizing that's where my parents were, I intended on cutting the corner to head upstairs, but I was called back before I could make my escape.

"Haley!" my mother beamed.

Dang it, I thought. I was spotted. Turning around I walked back to the kitchen.

"Hi mom, hi dad," I said through a weak smile.

"Hi honey, how was your first week at school?" she continued.

"It was fine, nothing out of the ordinary," I answered, purposefully leaving out Griffin. I was about to turn around and go to my room when my mother's words brought me to a halt.

"Well that's nice. Anyway, I hope you're not busy later, we'll be having guests!"

Immediately turning around, I furrowed my eyebrows in full suspicion. "What guests?"

"Some of the neighbors from a few houses down," my dad smiled while looking at me. "The Kacey's."

"Yes, we invited their family over for dinner!" my mom continued looking thrilled with herself. "Mr. and Mrs. Kacey and their son!"

I felt my blood begin to boil as I mentally rolled my eyes. They're at it again. Why I'm I not surprised?

"Well actually," I tried to think of something quick. "I have a lot to study and catch up on so-" but my parents interrupted before I could finish.

"Why don't you go upstairs and make yourself look presentable, honey," my mother continued. "They should be here in about an hour."

I looked down at my appearance. Black converse, skinny jeans and a slouchy off-the-shoulder shirt with Mickey Mouse on the front.

"What's wrong with how I look?" I quizzed.

"Haley, we're having guests and your jeans have rips all over them. At least try to look decent," my mother explained.

I sighed. I couldn't really argue with her without being disrespectful. "Fine," I said quietly while turning around to head upstairs as I heard her squeal 'excellent!' before I left.

A little over an hour had passed by the time I started to make my way downstairs at the sound of my parents calling my name.

I was still wearing my converse, but had changed to my best pair of skinny jeans -aka ones with no holes or rips in them- and I had put on a nice beige sweater from American Eagle (my favorite/the best store of all time). As much as it seemed fake to me to change into something nicer than I usually wear, I could also see my parents point in looking nice for guests.