16. I'll Crush You Harder Than A Sixteen Year Old Girl On Her English Teacher

If I were any other teenaged girl living it up in Boston, about to graduate from senior year, meanwhile actually enjoying my last year of high school with great friends and an even better boyfriend, I would've been completely heartbroken and devastated after what my mother just said. But the thing is, I'm not that average girl anymore. I don't have the luxury of saying I still get to hang out with my best friend from kindergarten, let alone go through high school in the same school and graduate together.

Now I wouldn't say I'm exactly complaining. After all, perhaps I wouldn't have the friends I have now if it weren't for everything that happened before I came here. Or maybe I would've, who knows. But that's not the point.

The point is, ever since I entered junior high, my parents for some reason have always tried to get me, basically, 'betrothed' to some rich guy they know absolutely nothing about. And every time Dustin and I foil their plans, they have us pack up the house and leave for the next town, starting the process all over again. God knows why they do this, cause I'm stumped. Maybe Griffin was right, maybe they're just trying to live vicariously through me. I mean sure, we're pretty rich. But to them I guess they could always have more in the family...

But that's all precisely why I didn't have my usual outbursts of "What!" "No!" and a desperate "You're joking, right?!" Because 1), I knew they weren't joking. And 2), this just wasn't a surprise anymore. I mean sure, I was mad. Heck, I was fuming. But my initial reaction said otherwise.

"Wait," I grinned. "What happened to the Kacey's?"

Dustin, on the other hand, just scoffed and rolled his eyes, probably trying to think of anything else but packing.

"Well after you so rudely declined their offer," my mother began coldly at me. "We will not have anything more to do with that family." She sighed as she looked at my dad. "I don't know why they would, that was humiliating."

"And this means we have to move because...?"

"Because you two," she scolded. "Have once again ruined our good name!"

My dad looked at me softly. "Haley, can't you see we're only trying to help you?"

I rose my eyebrows as my mother sighed again. "I can only hope no one knows us in California. Otherwise I don't know what to do! I wouldn't be surprised if no guy would ever want to be with you after hearing all the stories!"

Seriously, mom? We're not celebrities. I'm pretty sure no one talks about us.

"What about Griffin?" I asked, a hint of annoyance starting to coat my tone.

"Oh you'll never see him again," she rolled her eyes.

Before I could respond, Dustin suddenly stood up with an angry gleam in his eye. "What the hell is your problem? I mean why do you hate Griffin so much, can't you see there's someone out there finally making her happy?"

"Dustin!" my dad reprimanded as my mom simultaneously yelled at him.

"Don't raise your voice like that at me!"

"If Grandpa and Grandma were making Aunt Katelyn's life miserable would you have spoke up against your parents, too?" he looked at each of them, hardly phased by their wrath. "Or would have you just stood by and done nothing?"

I looked at my dad who was now staring at the floor. He seemed to be in thought as his squinted eyes reflected something sad - perhaps realization, or maybe remorse.

My mother on the other hand, looked unmoved by Dustin's point; her eyes hard and narrowed, glued to her son.

"Go upstairs and pack," she said flatly.