11. Sometimes Actions Speak Louder Than Words

A/N: I was trying to write this chapter when I realized it would just be better if I switched the last scene from the previous chapter with a scene from this chapter, so if you haven't read the updated version of chapter 10 (only the last few pages), I suggest you do that, otherwise you might be slightly confused.

~~~

Ever since the ice cream shop, I couldn't get my mind off seeing Griffin yesterday. I began to get a little lost in my emotions, in the fact that I really did miss what I had with Griffin, when I vaguely noticed my phone ringing. Without checking the caller ID, I absentmindedly answered it.

"Hello?" I said in a slightly melancholy, distant tone.

"Wow, I'm surprised you answered," I heard Luke say through the speaker as I was snapped back to reality.

"Luke?"

"Yeah, listen don't hang up, please, just give me a second," he begged, sounding almost eager. Luke? Eager, and not totally calm and cool? It sounded important, maybe I should hear him out. And maybe then everyone will finally just leave me alone about this.

"What do you want?" I sighed, finally giving in.

"You're gonna drive him to his grave," he said quickly but firmly.

I scrunched my brows together, "What?"

"You were right about what you said on Monday, there's no changing what you heard and there's no changing Griffin's past. But that's just what it is, his past. I'm not sure exactly what you heard, but ever since you first came to school Griffin hasn't been that person anymore."

I rolled my eyes as I mentally scoffed. "He sure sounded like it when you guys were talking in the hall the other day. Besides, why are you telling me this now?"

"Because I thought you needed to hear this from him, but apparently that's not gonna happen. And by the looks of things, pretty soon that may never happen."

There was a hint of worry in his voice. I felt my heartbeat begin to pound a little faster as my mind raced. "What do you mean?"

I heard him sigh in frustration on the other end. "I haven't seen him since Thursday. I called his parents, but they haven't seen him much either, only when he comes home really late.  They caught him last night coming home at almost 4 in the morning with some pretty intense bruises all up his arm and a totally ruined bumper on his car. He said he got into an accident but that's all they got out of him."

I felt my face go white as all the blood drained out. I was mad at Griffin sure, but that doesn't mean I exactly liked the thought of him in an accident (though that would explain his disheveled appearance yesterday), especially since it sounded like he's been doing some reckless driving. I mean I can live with him having some injuries, but that doesn't mean I wanted him dead.

"Was he drunk?" I asked softly, still trying to understand everything.