18. I Made A Mistake

*Griffin's POV*

My face held no emotion as I stared blankly at the white ceiling. Inside, on the other hand, was as if someone had scraped out my insides like a jack o'lantern and filled me with buckets of misery instead.

I kept trying to tell myself I made the right decision last week by letting Haley go. I mean she has enough problems as it is; she doesn't need me giving her a reason to stay, more reasons to hurt or be mad at her parents. So I figured better to fix all this now before things got too serious. But as each dreadful day past, the pain and emptiness only getting worse, I was beginning to question my decision constantly.

My bed felt cold, even though I had been lying here half the day for the past week. I let my eyes droop from exhaustion as I let out a long, slow sigh. I suppose it doesn't matter now, I thought to myself as I continued to question what I did. Even if I could've fixed anything, for all I know they already left and Haley's all the way across the freaking country by now.

But surprisingly, I wasn't angry. I couldn't be angry anymore, not when all I could feel was this miserable and desolate. Now I suppose deep down I was still furious at Mr. and Mrs. Parker. But at this point, if anything, I was just angry at myself.

My ever growing misery was briefly interrupted as I heard a bang and my door was barged open.

"Unbelievable," Luke rolled his eyes as he saw me.

My eyes fell down to the floor as I realized it was just him.

"What do you want," I said drearily, not even bothering to look at him.

"What do I want?" he fake laughed. "I want my best friend back, that's what I want." His eyes fell on the empty beer bottle by my bed. They darted to me as his face turned appalled. "No," he said in disbelief while starting to shake his head.

Walking over, he picked up the bottle and pointed at it with his other hand. "Tell me you're not drinking again."

"Luke-" I started.

"Tell me you're not resorting back to this-oh my gosh you are!" he yelled. "Dude! What the crap? You told me yesterday you were gonna stop."

I rolled over to face the wall, my back now to him. "That was yesterday," I mumbled.

"And this is today," Luke persisted. "And today you're not getting wasted again." He went to go toss out the bottle when he stopped by my desk and saw a few more. "Where the heck are you even getting these?"

"I'm really not in the mood to talk, Luke," I said in the same dry, melancholy tone before mumbling to myself. "...Or live..." Perhaps I was being a little overdramatic, even if that's how it all made me feel right now.

Dropping the bottle down with the rest, he leaned up against my desk. "Will you ever? Come on dude, you've been in bed all week. What about graduation - are you even gonna finish up the last couple weeks of school?"

"I can't go back to school," I grunted.

He looked at me annoyed before demanding, "Why not?"

I stared blankly at the grey wall. "It won't matter," I mumbled. Sitting up, I reached over and grabbed another Budweiser. "...Can't stop thinking of Haley..." I was about to take a sip when the bottle was snatched out of my hand.

"Dude!" Luke yelled at me.

"What?" I yelled back, finally showing some emotion. I looked at him irritably. "Give it back," I grunted.

"No," he shook his head firmly. "Dude, look at you! You're a wasted mess, don't you even care?"

"About what?" I snapped. "What is there to care about anymore, Luke? Haley's gone."