17. But You Look So Cute In My Pajamas

I extended my toes as far as I could as I stretched out like a starfish. A content sigh left my lungs, the softness of the comforter relaxing me. As I regained my senses, I opened my eyes to find it was morning...and I was not in my room.

I sat up suddenly, about to panic, when I recognized my surroundings and remembered I spent the night in Griffin's room (he slept on the couch downstairs) since I couldn't take going back home right then. I was just too mad to go back and face my parents right away. And frankly, I was a little scared that if I stayed at home they might've tried packing up and leaving with us in the middle of the night.

I felt bad about Griffin sleeping downstairs, but he didn't want me going back home either, and, as I quote, he wouldn't let his girlfriend sleep on "the lumpy sack of potatoes," that is, their couch.

I smiled, remembering his thoughtfulness, as I heard a small knock. I didn't have time to answer as Griffin's head popped through the door.

"Haley?" he whispered before realizing I was awake.

"Hey," I smiled.

"Hey," he smiled softly back as he came into the room and sat down on the bed. "You sleep ok?"

"Yeah," I chuckled as I thought of their 'potato couch.' "What about you?"

He nodded through a grin. "I've had better. But yeah, I'd say I slept ok."

I heard another knock at the door as Griffin and I whipped our heads up to see Mrs. Johnson poke her head through.

"Griffin?" she whispered. "Oh, Haley, you're awake!"

"Hi Mrs. Johnson," I waved. "Thanks so much for letting me crash here."

"Don't mention it! You're always welcome here," she brushed a hand through the air before continuing. "Anyway, I just came up to say I made pancakes if you guys are hungry."

"K, thanks mom."

After having delivered her message, she left without another word, leaving us alone.

"It really was nice of your mom to let me stay here," I smiled.

"Yeah," he shrugged. "She likes you. Plus she's always wanted a daughter, so you're probably doing her more of a favor than she is you," he chuckled.

"Well I like her, too," I chuckled back. "I've always wanted a mom that's, well, normal."

"Aw come on," he leaned in and kissed the side of my head. Keeping his lips pressed lightly against my skin he continued, "She's not so bad. She means well."

I sighed. "I just wish things were this easy at my house."

He leaned in a little closer as he rested his head on top of mine. "They will be," he whispered.

A brief moment of silence passed before Griffin brought his head back up as he looked at me through concerned eyes. "Are you ok?" he asked softly.

I shrugged as I let out a relieving breath. "Better than I was yesterday...I have you to thank for that," I continued through a subtle smile.

He brushed a strand of my messy bed-hair out of my face and chuckled lightly. "Well there are other ways to thank me for that."

I smiled a little wider as I placed a hand on his cheek and pulled his face a little closer. Leaning forward, I gave him a lingering kiss. I felt him gently kiss me back as he smiled, our faces remaining close together even after we broke apart. They were close enough for me to have felt the smallest whisper, but with enough distance that I could still see the concern and caring expression on his face.