Chapter 1: The Right Guy

Nia POV

Black-fitted tweed dress, pearl earrings and black stilettos just seem to be the perfect combination. Topping that with carefully curated eyelashes and subtle lipstick garnered me attention from this party.

"You look so pretty and hot at the same time! And not the 'slutty hot', but 'elegantly sexy'. I like your dress!"

"I like your style!"

"You're so gorgeous!"

It would be a complete lie if I said I did not like the compliments. I would be denying myself if I said that I didn't put any effort in making myself look good.

In fact, I take pride in doing it. I admit that I like to spend time and energy just to appear good. To look 'perfect' and pretend I got everything together.

Moreover, I like it the most when I get told that I am 'elegant'. I somehow relate that term to being 'rich'.

I am enamoured with the make-believe. It is my coping method to escape with my everyday reality.

However, in moments like this, I cannot help but feel lonely and tired.

I am tired of pretending that I've got it all together, holding to all the façade I have built up. I am not happy, even while surrounded by praises and having 'friends' who are willing to be around my presence.

I feel very alone. I feel like no one will ever understand me and the burden that I feel. I feel like no one is truly there for me, although I appear to have people with me.

It is very hard to hold into hope that life would eventually reveal its purpose. It is difficult to continue being 'resilient' at the impeccable pile that life throws.

In the midst of my quiet reflection, I sipped my wine as I gazed at the scene in front of me with a blank face – people dancing to the loud music, smiles, cheers and so on...

Since I was raised in a conservative household, I always thought I would enjoy these kinds of scenes during my 20's. But now that I could actually get to experience it, I just feel even lonelier each time.

Maybe parties just aren't my thing. But I do not totally regret it coming here, since I came just to show off the make-believe life I'm trying to live up to.

"Why are you not joining everyone else in the dancefloor?"

I heard the question but I ignored it and continued sipping on my wine.

"Miss?" the deep voice followed up.

At that moment, I finally changed my gaze from my drink to a man who was sitting next to me.

To be frank, I didn't even realise his presence before. I was too indwelled in my own thoughts. I didn't answer his question immediately since I was not sure if it was actually directed to me.

But with his eyes piercing through mine, I'm quite certain he is talking to me.

"What about it?" I replied naturally in a rude tone.

I stared at him with a blank face, which left him pursing his lips without saying anything.

Now that I had the energy to actually examine his face, I could observe that this man had the face that could launch a thousand ships.

His face is totally my type.

He had straight thick brows, which complimented his innocent almond brown eyes. His nose was slim and sharp. I don't think it would be visible from far away but from our distance, I could notice subtle beard on his face which complements his overall features quite nicely.