Chapter 14: Seatmates

Nia POV

Now, I could say that the storm has passed.

I was alone throughout my struggles, but I have made it miraculously. Probably, the heavens did not totally abandon me.

Right after I had the conversation with Tarnya Yu around four years ago, I have made the decision to leave Raffaello's apartment the very next day.

I had a good cry for the next three days but after that, I had to force myself to get up and start with my life again. I had work to do. Studies to do, on top of it all.

If I make myself miserable after what he has done to me, then just what kind of clown would I be? It would do me no good to continue sulking over that guy.

I had to continue working for myself so I could achieve my goals. Therefore, I busied myself even more with work and studies until I had no free time to think about him anymore.

It would be a total lie to say that I had gotten over him quickly, but I could say now that it doesn't hurt as much anymore. Especially with the comfort and stability my new life gives me, it sure doesn't hurt as much anymore.

Moreover, with my life status now, I feel like I have given my younger self justice. I am truly glad that I had worked hard because now, I have the rest of life to look forward to.

Because I have overcome the storm, I don't really mourn for the wound that my parents left me too. They both didn't help me, so I helped myself.

But still, a hopeful wish remains within me. In the future, if I ever build my own family, I do not want to be like my parents. I will never leave my child alone. I will not leave my child to fend for their selves. I will support them because it is my responsibility and they do not owe me anything because in the first place, it was me who brought them in this world.

However, not at my age of 26, I do not see myself having kids yet. After all, I am still enjoying the ripe fruit of my hard work for the past years.

Amazingly, as if it was fate, there was an opportunity that came for enrolled nurses like me who weren't on permanent visa.

We just had to work on regional area, which I had already been doing, for the next three years and after that, we will be granted permanent visa.

Moreover, while on that opportunity, I don't have to pay ridiculously high fees for my bachelor's degree in nursing to become an enrolled nurse.

Therefore, in midst of studying and working taking up my whole life, I had a reasonable number of moments where I could just breathe and take life as it is...

Because I was inclined with make-believe, I had more free time to document my fashion style on social media, as well as starting to post nursing-related posts at the same time.

Due to that, my followers on social media have increased significantly. Luxury brands and medical brands started to send me items to promote. It's seriously crazy because even with just one picture I put out on Instagram now with promotion, it's worth more than one month of me working as a nurse.

Several shows have invited me as well. However, there is one particular offer that I was interested about. I read the whole letter:

"To Ms. Nia Gozali (@niagozalirn on Instagram),

We would like to formally invite you to be one of our representatives for Australia and Asia region. We believe your social media influence, along with your current reputation, have the power to continually increase awareness for the betterment of everyone's health.

We sincerely hope you consider our kind offer.

Regards,

World Health Organisation Australia-Asia Region"

The finer things in life are good to enjoy, but nothing beats the joy of being able to help those who are in need and contributing to the greater good.

I think this offer would really give more purpose in my life... there's no reason to not accept it.

After sending my reply letter to the organisation, they sent me a contract and orientation letter right away. Apparently, they would have a program meeting in Australia so I would have to attend to oversee the whole thing.

I wore a white blazer-like dress and paired with beige heels. Now that I am older, I actually cut my jet black hair until it was a little above my chin. I also put on some fringe, which I got a lot of compliments on.

I completed my look with natural make-up and reddish-pink lipstick, which made me more confident as I walked through the hallways in the building.

As I walked through the meeting door, a short blonde woman who looked like in her mid 40's greeted me warmly.

"Miss Nia! I'm so glad you accepted our offer. I'm Jenny, the one you have been exchanging correspondences with."

"Nice to meet you too, Jenny! It's an honour to be able to represent the organisation."

"That's so good that you genuinely like the offer. It's good to have representatives who align with our values directly and have sufficient influence. Here, come sit with the rest of the representatives."

There was a lot of people there and I really didn't know who they were. I just timidly followed Jenny until she led me to sit in what seemed to be like an allocated seat for me. It was a black chair and it had my name plate on it.

"You could just sit here with the other representatives. I'll be at the front to welcome more people. Thank you for your patience! Rest assured that the program will start soon."

"Alright, all good. Thanks Jenny!"

With that, I started to calm myself down and try to familiarise myself with the surrounding. It seems like I came too early since the seats allocated next to me were still empty.

I drank the glass of water allocated to as per courtesy and tried to check my phone for any work updates. However, I don't know why I feel like there is a very strong presence around me...

When I turned to my left, I saw that there was a guy in a grey suit. Even though he was wearing a full-on formal grey suit, it was obvious he had a good body due to the suit clearly hugging his biceps.

I pretended not to see his presence, not really interested to make small talk. But damn, this is World Health Organisation we're talking about. It's not good if I don't pretend to at least exchange courtesy, right?

With that, I stopped looking into my phone and faced to my left. Unknowingly, that person was already laying their eyes into me.

Immediately, my eyes widened and my mouth couldn't hide its shock.

Thank goodness I wasn't sipping on water anymore because if I was, I'm sure that I would spill it and embarrass myself. I don't want that. Especially in front of this man.

Raffaello Xu, who I have not seen for years, had his features mature. He looked different from the doctor I knew once before with clean-style haircut. His hair was longer and he also had a slight beard on his face.

His face didn't faze with my reaction. He stared at me with full of nonchalant expression. Fucking asshole! He was the one who aggrieved me, and now he's acting so shamelessly as if he didn't too anything to me! Who gave him the guts to act so arrogantly like that?

With that thought it mind, I scratched the idea of 'small talk'. No way in hell! No way with that man! I silently turned myself back to front and tried to keep my beating heart calm.