Chapter 17: His Story

Raffaello POV

After that encounter with Nia in her shoot for a brand co-owned by me and the Grosvenor group, I felt restless.

Why did she call me a 'cheating bastard' for? How did she even get to that conclusion? While I was with her, she was the only girl I had my eyes on.

It's not like anything changed after that. Because until now, it's still her! I told myself that I shouldn't associate myself with her anymore but what am I doing? Getting myself partnered with WHO. Offering brand endorsements to her.

Damn.

It has been a cruel fucking four years without her.

From that night where I had to leave, everything is still etched into my memory until now.

Nestor, the only ally we have in the Xu estate who was also my mother's maternal cousin have called me in a low, sunken voice.

"Young Master Raffaello... I am sorry to report to you... but the Madame... your mother is gone."

After hearing those words from him, my body literally became frozen. I could not move. I felt like there was something keeping me in place.

I didn't believe I heard his words right.

"Young Master Raffaello?"

After a few seconds, it is only when I regained control of my body. Even though my whole being was shaking in anger, loneliness and denial, I had kept my calm, just like what I was trained to since I was younger.

"What do you mean, Nestor? I just called my mother yesterday. She was happy and perfectly fine. She has her regular check-ups, doesn't she? There doesn't seem to be any chronic illnesses. Please do not report such untrue things."

"Young Master, you know I would never lie to you or the Madame..."

With a heavy sigh from Nestor's end, he continued talking. I let him to, since I feel like I have already exhausted all my energy just from what I heard.

"Listen to me, Young Master, we believe your mother has been poisoned. It has been revealed from the autopsy that her body has taken too much toxins which eventually led to her death. The symptoms are not visible and modern medical technology cannot detect it. The way she was poisoned was a silent killer – all the suspects had to do was to spray the toxin on her daily environment every day until her body eventually wears out..."

I gritted my teeth, angry at how such thing was even possible.

"This is ridiculous! Surely, even that old man would give her protection, right? She has bodyguards around her so how the hell would someone poison her through that?"

"That's the thing, Young Master... Based from the quick findings just now, we found that one of your mother's maids have been in close contact with a maid of your father's wife, Madame Greta. Unfortunately that is only our findings now. But one thing is for sure, Young Master. You are not safe either. They are clearly making their moves and targeting you as well. I have already arranged a helicopter to pick you up wherever you are as we need you home immediately. Please send me your coordinates."

I clenched my fists as tears finally rolled down my face.

It's that damned woman! That woman killed my mother!

The whole world knows me as the youngest of the Xu Group's sons – the one who also had 'mestizo chinito' looks so I had looked a little different from my two older brothers who had strong, heavy features.

With that, the whole world have recognised me as Robert and Greta Xu's youngest son – the son who had no interest in business and went into medicine instead.