Chapter 19: Clean Slate

Nia POV

At that moment, I did not even care that the other members in this WHO medical mission would also be public figures or respectable figures in our field.

I kept crying as I saw them how they treat Raf. I was almost screaming when the doctors were shaking their heads, as if Raffaello did not have any chance to live anymore.

I was a nurse and if was any other emergency situation, I'm sure I would have done something instead of crying and just staring at the medical officers do their jobs.

But this was different. It was Raffaello. My Raffaello.

"Nia, I didn't know Dr. Xu was your friend. He'll be fine. Here, have some water please... You know you'll be dehydrated yourself from all your crying."

I smiled at my colleague, forcing myself to drink sips of water but my eyes still won't disappear from staring at how they treat Raf.

Thankfully, it seems like the heavens have heard my prayers because Raffaello has gotten stable.

I had to excuse myself from the medical mission itself because Raffaello was rushed to the nearest hospital in the Alcontar province, which was the Alcontar Unniversity Hospital.

I knew that what I was doing was very impulsive and technically, Raffaello and I have no relationship now.

But I cannot take the risk. I cannot bear to lose him.

If it is true what that Tarnya have said years ago, then so be it.

I just did not want to let my pride ruin the rest of me. I did not want to have any regrets especially right now, it is involving Raffaello's life.

I didn't even realise how I fell asleep near Raffaello's bed. Even though it may strain my back, I didn't mind because I wanted to be near him. I wanted to make sure he was okay.

I was only woken up when I felt someone stroking my hair. Am I dreaming or not?

When I woke up, I immediately flinched which made that someone stop stroking my hair.

To my surprise, Raffaello was already awake. He even had a small smile on.

"Nia? Is that really you?"

His voice still sounded weak. I felt like there was something stuck in my throat as I listened to him.

"Yes, it's me, Raf..."

He had the audacity to laugh even though he's in a weak state!

"That's good. Thank God I wasn't dreaming. I thought I was already in heaven."

My mouth immediately pouted at what he said.

"Please don't say it like that. You shouldn't even be talking right now because we don't know if you're fully okay..."

"No... I am fine. I'm still a doctor after all. I'm actually super fine because you're actually here with me."

"Tss. You have not changed at all."

"If I knew that incident would cause you to stay with me like this and talk to me, I would have done it a long time ago."

"Raffaello, I told you this is not something to joke about!"

He smiled, even finding it amusing at how worried I was for him. He really hasn't changed! I feel like for a moment, I was deluding myself that both of us were the past versions of ourselves four years ago.

"Nia... listen... that night, I did not abandon you. I never cheated on you. I have sent you a letter to explain what happened but I just found out recently that you did not receive it."