Chapter 10 -

“Guh!” Sam struggling as another blow squeezed the air out of his lungs.

“Come on, Gao Shi De, are you even trying?”

Tears sprang to Sam’s eyes when another punch hit his ribs “Urgh!”

“What's with you?, I thought you were a fucking genius. Ah what did you said 2 years ago at graduation ceremony? Ah!!! Know your place, you dirty peasant” Zhou Shu Yi pitched his voice high and whined “Oh c'mon where did your confident go?"

The pain in Sam’s chest mixed with shame at the mimicry. His jaw tightened as he pressed his lips together, determined to not let any sound slip out, not even the smallest whimper, not only Zhou Shu Yi humiliated him physically but also mentally.

"What the heck is your problem today?” Sam yelled out. Just a few minutes ago after Sam finished his presentation and ask other for q & a session, Zhou Shu Yi, asked questions which beyond the students league, even the teachers himself can't reply his questions. No one can stop Zhou Shu Yi. Then he humiliated him in front of all his classmates cuz he can't answer it. Among 50 questions he can only answer 5. As president council and scholarship student it was very embarrassing. Ofc Sam doesn't know the question Shu Yi asked actually a test entrance for international Security Intelligence Service for special unit at that, he got from his uncle. it doesn't stop there, unfortunately next lesson was sport. Zhou Shu Yi challenge him for 'real' battle.

I've never fought you with all my might because your fragile body. Now you're not fragile anymore, let me show you how the real fight works. That's what Zhou ShuYi said. Ofc, Sam laugh out loud, in fact these 2 years Sam's been dominating their fighting. He's getting ahead of himself, everyone praise him how genius he is, how handsome he is, how strong he is, etc. But here he is. Lying on the ground, bloods come out from his nose, eyes, mouth, bruises all over his body. He can't even land a hit on Zho Shu Yi who he thought is a weakling in real fight. He even point out his weakness, blind spot, etc. I underestimate him. I'm careless. I forget who I am, my purpose bcs my life is getting better, everyone proud and praise me.

“I don’t have a problem.”

“Yes you do, asshole!” Sam yells, “Y'know what? You’re nothing but a monster!” He stands and glares at ShuYi in anger as he scrambles up himself.

“... Yes I am. I'm a monster. That's why I'm here” Shu Yi gave him a flat look, “And you are a coward. Down to earth dude. Life isn't a cab. It doesn't always go the way you want it to. Stop paying attention to what others say and do what they want! are u their doll? screw you Gao Shi De, I'm sick of it!" He spits out angrily before spinning his back on him.

ShuYi's fist came down onto his stomach and buried itself in his guts, Sam's muscles contracting with a jerk in response, his body bending over automatically as it tried to protect him from serious harm.

Oh God, let it be over soon, Sam begged silently, folding his arms over his middle as nausea took over the aching feeling, they'll have enough of it any moment, it'll all be over.

Just a moment, just a moment, please... His eyes were squeezed shut in a silent plea, his mind torn between the growing pain and his begging, as a sharper knock landed on his cheek bone and pain exploded in waves over his left eye and nose. He felt himself lose his balance, the ground seeming to rise to meet him as Sam fell, fortunately someone catch him.

'If it's too hard to to it alone. Find someone nice to be by your side. Don do it if you don't wanna do it. You don't have to always overcome everything. You can rest on the weekend. You always seem to think more abt other rather than yourself. When they're no help of you, take advantage of you, don't be too kind to others. I'd like you to think abt yourself first. I meant it. Being weak isn't a bad thing. Hating to be weak is a bad Thing. Being sick isn't a bad thing. So, don't hide it. Understand, my chicken?'

The laughter died. It was a very comforting words he's ever heard. The voice is very soft as the hand pat his head softly. Sam doesn't have strength left to look up who's talking instead he closes his eyes on how comfortable it is.

Richard push Xin Le Er and Fang Zheng Wen away from him with a rough shove. "Are you fuckin' kidding me?" He shouted. "His face?! Where everyone will see it? Are you daft, you dumb shit? You fuckin' SERIOUS? It's your fault if  there's something wrong with Gao ShiDe!"

Zhou ShuYi looked at him in amazement. "As expected of our Richie! Yes that's it! what you call friend!" ShuYi winked at him "Let's go, he’s had enough anyway. See you next time, duo chicken!"

The sentence was spat at him like a curse, but all that mattered was that they’d finally left him alone. Wetness gathered beneath his lashes and ran down his hot, hurting cheeks in fine drops, caused by the combination of relief and pain. The cement he was lying on was rough and scratched over his already aching skin, adding red marks to the swelling he could already feel, so Sam pushed himself onto his back slowly.

Breathing was the most important thing right now.

Breathe.

His stomach felt like it had been wrung out violently, his body shivering with the effort to push hot air out of his lungs.

Breathe.

His trousers were torn at his knees from the fall and his back couldn't adjust to the hard, flat ground, but Sam didn't have the strength to move yet.

Breathe.

A soft breeze brushed over his face, cooling the tears on his cheeks like a healing caress.

Just breathe.

Oh God. How was he supposed to explain this to his Mom?

--
Sam turned to the class as usual the next day despite being bruises all over his face and body, taking a deep breath and finally walking in. He immediately marched to the desk, careful not to get another pranks but strangely there isn't. Finally he opted for a seat in the middle row, next to the window. When he was seated, he arranged his schedule and the sheet with his locker number in his bag's pocket and took out his notebook.

When the bell rang, he heard everyone move around him, taking a seat, while the last latecomers came through the door. He was looking up at Xin Le Er and Fang Zheng Wen without their leader. Zhou ShuYi.

Thank God, Sam thought. At least he's free for today. He couldn't sleep last night thinking what that person said to him. He can't forget it. He thinks what should he does. I have to change myself. Wht a pathetic.

2nd days

3rd days

4th days

..

7th days

It's quite peaceful. No pranks. No one laughing out load in the corridor. No questions. Nothing. And no zhou Shu Yi around.

"Is this another type of his pranks?" Sam muttered dejected, glancing at the table where Xin Le Er and Fang Zheng Wen were sitting, a few meters from them.

"You know what?" Richard exclaimed suddenly. "Maybe ... Maybe the news was true!!! Zhou ShuYi move school to abroad! For his modelling" He smiled at the thought. "Ah this is so quiet to the point it scares me! What's going on??!! They never absence from pranking us" he's whining.

"What? Move abroad?!"

"That's right. You don't have to worry anymore. Use your time wisely. He'll be back. So prepare yourself" A man's voice exclaimed, shocked Sam and Richard. Yeah, it's duo evil  Xin Le Er and Fang Zheng Wen. then they left. Leaving Sam and Richard in awe.

The two boys looked at each other. "No way" they muttered between his teeth.

Richard's shoulder trembling excited. Then shouted, "HELL YEAHHHH!!!! I'M FREE!!!! GOD MUST LOVE ME SO MUCH HAHAHA"

Sam forced a smile. "Yeah, what a great surprise" he muttered. He feels relief and ... Surprisingly empty.

Richard took him by the shoulders  "It is a one life chance! Let's go to celebrate our freedom! Let's enjoy our life to the fullest before he's back!!!!!"

"Uhm - yeah?" he stammered, then met his friend's beaming expression. And he returned Richard's smile, looking at him. "Definitely. Let's do it. To our peaceful days"

--