Chasing a dream

We were destined to meet no matter the distance .
                                                                 We return to each other again and again.
                                                                It's that once in a life time connection,
                                                              the ones that make you feel more alive just sitting next to them
                                                              Even the silence is comfortable because you feel more complete in their presence.
                                                           I don't know what it is about her...... only that when I look into her eyes
                                                           I sees reflection of my own soul staring back at me.' .........N.R. Hart

    Richard had committed Elise's room number to memory and strode confidentiality down the hall to her room. 
           In the back corner of his mind he worried that she would think a strange man knocking on her door in the early evening would be improper not to mention scandalous and call for  hotel security to escort him off the premises.
         He put it out of his mind as he  boldly knocked on the door.
     There was no backing out now, if he had the slightest doubt it was to late.  His hands shook slightly as he waited for the door to open.
          He was greeted by a pretty blonde  ladies maid, who looked up at him with a blank face.

          "Oui Monsier?"  She spoke in a thick French accent.

    " Oh, hello. Um, is Miss McKenna in?"  He asked  with his heart returning to its rapid fire pounding.

     "No , Monsier."   She said guardedly.

   " Do you know where I might find her?"  He tried very hard not to sound as desperate as he felt.

    " No Monsier, I have no idea." She said forcefully . She suddenly closed the door in his face, leaving him standing there bewildered.
         "Strike one."  But he won't be defeated just yet.

         He made his way to the elevator, and was squeezed in with five other people, one woman wearing a ridiculously large hat with feathers and ribbons, that took up most of the space.

               The doors opened and the people spilled out ,  but Richard just stood there.  The scene before him froze him in his tracks.

       He  wasn't  prepared for the real nineteen twelve.  

       The lobby was full of men and women dressed to impress.  The men in top hats and tails the women in beaded evening wear.
    The lobby looked exactly like the old daguerreotype pictures  in the Hall of History.
        He saw a stack of news papers and picked one up.  His eyes fell on the date.  June 27 1912.
    Sure enough , he was definitely in the year nineteen twelve.  
            The world was still  in shock over the sinking of the R.M.S Titanic that had sunk only two months ago.   He knew that in just two years the world would be plunged  into the First World War and many more life's would be  needlessly  lost.

          He was startled again when a ball hit him in the back.
  Spinning around he saw a little boy in a blue sailor suit. His wispy brown hair fell roguishly over his eyes.

      He held an equally astonished look on his face as he saw the man he hit come over to him grinning , and handed  him his ball.

              " Arthur, didn't I say no  playing ball in the lobby?"  The stern voice came from a hotel manager behind the  front desk.