A Friend Made

" When I fall in love it will be forever.... Sense and sensibility, Jane Austin

     The  Grand Hotel  was never one for doing things  in a small way.  They had important guests, dignitaries and  posh vacationer to impress.
                So on this brilliantly  sunny  morning Richard  found himself  sitting at a table with a shade umbrella on the thick green grass, enjoying a  sumptuous breakfast.
A buffet had been at up on lawn, with dishes of hot scrambled eggs, oatmeal, bacon , kippers, O'Brien potatoes and juice.

    The hotels elite  dined on bone China plates  and sterling silverware, brought down from the hotel dining room.
The breakfast  tasted wonderful, especially since he was obliged to skip dinner last night.
He was , however , not going to sleep on a porch chair another night.
His shoulders still protested painfully at every movement of his arms.

   In his hand he held a newspaper. He couldn't help looking  at the date over and over.  He still couldn't believe he was here , in 1912.  
         They definitely didn't do things half way.  Posh was the name of the game.

      He felt a tickle in this nose. There were large arrangements of flowers on the buffet tables and he  couldn't afford a scandal if he sneezed.
         Another irritant appeared in the shape of W.F. Robinson, who sat down at Richards table.  There was an unmistakable gleam of venom in his eyes.

      "May I offer you a seat?" Richard gallantly asked his nemesis. "Maybe a pastry?"    Richard couldn't help the sarcasm in his voice.
       Robinson wasn't one for idle chitchat and got right to the point of his visit.

       "Where are you from sir?"   He demanded.

      "Chicago, and where are you from sir?"    Actually Richard knew quite a lot already about the man sitting across from him.
         He knew he was from London, England , owned a theater company and that he dabbled in the occult .

             Robinson choose to ignore Richard and continued his interrogation.

    "And I am to understand that you are a playwright."

     "You understand correctly."  Richard replied .

     "And no doubt , you dream of seeing Miss McKenna in one of your opera. That's plural for opus, I presume you have written more than one."

           Richard looked at him trying to read his face.  What was he getting at?

                "Oh yes, and seen them produced." Not to mention all the awards that were hanging on his apartment wall.

      "Really?  I am not entirely unacquainted with the achievements of the American stage in the last decade. Perhaps I've seen one?"

       "No, I doubt it."   They won't be produced until long after your dead , Richard thought smugly.

    "And I doubt very much that I will see one graced by Miss McKenna."  Robinson's voice  becoming forceful.

            Robinson stood up quickly and began to walk away but Richard jumped up and stopped him.

      "Do you really think that's why I'm here? Do you think I'm here to steal her away from you?"  

    " Then why are you here, Sir!   

    Richard  looked at him square in the eye. He wasn't about  to tell him about how personal this was.

     Robinson  wouldn't back down.  " Is it money  you are after?"

    " You don't believe that do you, if I was after her for the money I would have come directly to you."

      "There is a law Collier, I warn you I will not hesitate to make avail  of it!"

           The them's fighting words.

    " Oh yes, on what charge!"
    They continued to glare at each other ,  neither backing down.

     "These matters are concluded Sir."   Robinson said with finality.

       "No!" Richard was not going to let him think this was over. Not by a long shot.
Robinson began to walk away and tossed over his shoulder , " Oh yes, you may depend on it!" 

********

       Richard shook off the unpleasant encounter with Robinson and checked his watch.  9:10.
   It was time to go up to the lobby and check in at 9:18.

           The hotel lobby was a bee hive of activity.   Guests coming and leaving.  Men smoking cigars and reading the morning paper.
Richard thought he heard a ball bouncing behind in as he approached the hotel check in desk.

          "Good morning Sir, may I help you?"  The clerk asked politely.    The bouncing sound continued, getting louder.

    "Ah yes, I'd like a room please."

  "Don't you already have a room sir?"      Bounce , bounce , bounce.    "Arthur!"

   Richard  had to think quickly. He needed an excuse for why he was here but didn't have a room yet.

   " Oh , I was ill last night and stayed with a friend."   Feeble but it worked.

     The clerk took in Richards crumpled unkempt appearance and decided he was in earnest.    " Oh, yes sir."  He cleared his throat and turned to retrieve a key.

       Oh God, it was the wrong number!    He tried not to panic.   " Um, are you sure  this is the right room?"  He asked . His heart thumping wildly in his chest.  

         "Sir?"   The clerk looked at Richard , thinking that this man is strange. 

         "Sorry Jim, that room is reserved . I forgot to put a notice in the slot."   Another clerk had come out of an inner office and quickly  remedied the awkward situation.

                Richard was handed a new key .  The correct one.

      He sighed in relief .  "Shall I sign the register?"  

         "Of course Sir."  Jim the clerk smiled indulgently at this  unusual  man.

      Richard signed his name and his place of residence, but had another moment of panic when Jim the hotel clerk reached over the desk and took the pen out of his hands.

               "Oh, it's nine eighteen.  Room 416!"   The clerk had turned to look at the clock  then back again.

    "Thank you sir, it  all seems  to be in order."  He tried to hide the annoyance out of his voice. 

         "Arthur !" The little boy stopped his playing and reluctantly handed over his ball.   Richard saw the crushed look in the boys eyes . When his fathers back was turned he carefully retrieved the ball and walked over .

      "Hey Arthur, how about you and I playing ball  outside?"  Richard  suggested.   Huge eyes full of unshed tears  looked up at his new friend.    They spent two hours playing catch on the hotel lawn.   He rubbed the little boys head as he left and called out , "see ya' around Arthur."