40

Lucas sat on the sofa in the living room, the two bodyguards standing behind him, straight as pillars.

On the wall across from him, there hung a minimalist clock. As it went tick tock tick tock, Lucas started to feel like he was sitting in an exam room.

He stared at the multiple choice question in front of him, and after five minutes, he finally randomly chose option C.

Somewhat irritated, he put down his pen and picked up his phone to call Lisa.

"Hello?"
Hearing a stranger's voice on the other end of the phone, Lucas frowned. He asked, "Who is this? I'm looking for Lisa Manoban."

"I'm Lisa's assistant. She's currently working and cannot answer the phone. I can take a message for you if you'd like."

"Is there any point in telling you?" Lucas grew more irritated. "I need to find Lisa. I'm her younger brother."

The assistant persisted, "I'm sorry, but Lisa really can't answer the phone right now. Why don't you call back later?"

"I need to find her right now!"

"I'm sorry, Ms Lisa cannot answer the phone right now."

"...Are you a robot?!" Lucas frowned and hung up.

He stood up from the sofa and the bodyguards behind him immediately moved to follow.

Lucas turned and glared at them, but the two men seemed not to have noticed, as they continued to follow him, step by step.

Lucas quickly walked around the living room once, and then he pulled out his cellphone again. He called his mother.

"Lucas, where are you going to play today?" Mama answered quickly and asked her son happily.

Lucas said, "Play? Sis locked me up in the house to study!"

"Ah? How can she lock you up inside? Don't worry, I'll give her a call."

"She's working. She won't even pick up my calls!"

"What about your brother-in-law then?"

"He went to work too! I'm the only one at home, and I haven't even had lunch yet!"

"Okay, okay, I got it. I'll give Lali a call. Wait a minute." After she finished speaking, Mama hung up and called Lisa. Of course, the one to answer the phone was still Lisa's assistant.

"Hello?"

Mama was taken aback for a moment. She said to the person on the other end of the line, "Who are you? I'm looking for Lisa Manoban."

The assistant responded, "Hello, I'm Ms Lisa's assistant. She's currently working and cannot answer the phone. If you have something to tell her, you can leave a message with me."

Mama shouted angrily, "Tell her to answer the phone right now!"

"I'm sorry, Ms Lisa currently cannot answer the phone."

"What do you mean she can't answer? Can't she take a break when she's working? Put her on the phone now. I'm her mother!"

"I'm sorry, even if you're her mother, I can't do anything about it."

"...."

Before Mama could react, the assistant said, "Since you don't want to leave a message, then I'll be hanging up. Goodbye."

With a beep, the call ended.

Mama , "...."

After that, she called twice more, only to be given the same response by the assistant.