Stitches

Chapter 4: Stitches

Bella POV:

Oh no. Oh no, what have I done? Why did I have to be so stupid? Why did I have to be so clumsy? Why? Why did I ruin a perfectly good night? I was devastated.

The blood kept pouring out of my veins. I could not look at it, since the smell alone made me nauseous. Carlisle was the only one who could think clearly.

'Emmett, Rose, take Jasper outside,' he demanded. Emmett nodded quietly, but I could still see a glimpse of... Of what, remorse in his eyes? This must be so hard for all of them! Why was I such a klutz! Eventually, Esme also had to leave the room. I felt horrible.

I took a good look at Edward, who was protecting me and eying everyone in the room like a hawk. I knew his muscles could not tense, but the way he stood there I could have sworn they were tense. He was ready to fight everyone off, who was getting too close to me. 

Eventually, Carlisle realised I needed to get stitches. Edward was carrying me towards a chair, while Carlisle took his equipment to stitch me up. Edward did not want to leave my side, but I ordered him; 'Please Edward, go outside. I see how hard this is for you, and Carlisle will take good care of me.' I smiled reassuringly.

Edward sighed and turned to Carlisle; 'Please, take care of her,' before he ran out of the room. I was wondering what he was thinking at that moment.

Edward POV:

I was thirsty. I did not want to be, but I was. I ran out of the room, into the cool evening air and took a deep breath. I hadn't even realised I was holding my breath while I stood next to Bella. I looked around to find my family members, their shocked expressions matched my own, I assumed. 

I did not see Jasper straight away. He'd flown a couple of miles through the woods. I followed him. He was sitting on a fallen branch, looking devastated. I did not want to startle him, he looked so lost. But of course, he already noted my presence.

'Edward, I am so sorry,' he whispered. Truth to be told, I wanted to be mad at him. I wanted to fight him. I wanted him to feel as hurt as I was right now. I wanted him to feel my pain. Luckily for me, if you could call it that, Jasper senses the emotions of those around him. When Bella was bleeding, he must have felt the thirst of all of us. Thus I could not be mad at him, he was simply feeling everything we all felt. And, at this moment he must have felt my sadness and despair. 

'It wasn't your fault, Jasper,' I said as I looked at him. 'You were feeling what we all have felt. We were all thirsty and you felt all our emotions combined.'

I sighed. I felt an immense weight on my shoulders, and I absolutely didn't know what to do. Bella was safe at this moment, but it could have gone so much worse. I could have saved her this time, but what would happen next time? Could I prevent the next time from occurring? How could I prevent the next time from occurring? What would I need to do?

'Edward, this is not your fault. It was an accident,' Jasper said. Of course, he could feel my self-hatred inner monologue. Stupid Jasper and his stupid abilities, I thought to myself. But I couldn't help it; it really did feel as if it was my fault. 

Eventually, Alice found us and joined our conversation.

'Don't beat yourself up, Edward. And you, Jasper. You couldn't prevent this. It was unfortunate, but stuff like this will happen all the time. Bella is alright and she is worried for you, Edward.' Alice explained. I heard her, but I could not quite comprehend what she was saying. 

So this will happen all the time? What? I did not want that!

'Don't try to make me feel any better, Alice,' I almost shouted. She was shocked to hear the anger in my voice. I was angry. At myself. For putting Bella in danger. No one could sugarcoat it anymore, and I knew I was putting Bella in danger by being with me. We eventually all got up and ran back into the house.