Bella goes to a party

Chapter 14: Bella goes to a party

Edward POV:

'Rosalie is right,' I continued. 'I did leave her and I have no right to feel this way. But I do. I miss her and I'm worried about her. What if something bad happens and I'm not there? Even though Alice says she's fine, I'm still worried.'

Alice hopped over to me, her small frame blocking me from the rest of the family. She looked up at me, cupping my cheek in her hand and showed me that Bella would return safely to Forks. A little sunburn was the worst that had happened to her and she might be a little tired, but other than that, she's fine.

'I won't do this again, Edward,' she warned me. 'I won't show you her future ever again. I did this for you now, because I know you needed it. But you need to control... this. Whatever this is. You need to have faith in her. You understand that?'

I nodded my head in agreement. I rang my finger through my hair, trying to comprehend all of this. Leaving her alone was going to be way harder than I ever expected it to be.

Despite my family's attempts to soothe me, I was anxiously waiting for school to start again on Monday. When Monday finally came, I felt like a little schoolboy, waiting to finally see a glimpse of his crush. Or a vampire waiting to see the love of his life again after being away from her for a whole weekend. I was hopeless. Much to Alice's amusement, I even asked her to help me pick an outfit to dazzle Bella. If it works, why not use it? We settled for a dark blue buttoned-up shirt with grey slacks.

We arrived at school way earlier than we should, but I simply couldn't wait any longer. I had to see her, I had to.

When Charlie's police car finally arrived after waiting way too long, I was tremendously happy. I hid a bit in the shadows, respecting her to give her some privacy and to accept her wishes to be left alone by me. Bella was talking to Charlie about her trip and she looked mesmerizing. Even a blind person could see her excitement as she talked non-stop. Her hands waved around her to express the magnitude of the scenery of Jacksonville and she laughed uncontrollably. It was music to my ears. She was so happy, I could see it in everything she did.

She got out, and I noticed we wore matching clothes. Her dark blue sweater matched my shirt and her grey jeans matched my own. She saw Angela waiting for her and walked over to her to leave the parking lot and enter the school. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. She was safe. Everything was fine again.

One Month Later

One month had passed, and Bella and I hadn't said a single word to each other since. She hadn't said a single word to any Cullen at last. It was heartbreaking for me to sit next to her in Biology every day, without kissing her. Without talking to her. Hell, I would give anything for her to just acknowledge me sitting there. But she had this facade. As a wall protecting her from me. Not allowing a single crack. Not allowing a single glimpse of what we had slipped through. It was pure agony.

The one thing that made it slightly better was the fact that Alice went through the same thing. Seeing Bella every day without her acknowledging us was hard. Alice's anger towards my decision rose every day until desperation took over. But the worst was seeing Alice's sadness and despair, for the friend she once had and now lost. We had to remind ourselves that this little separation was what Bella wanted. And as one of us could not take it anymore and wanted to go to Bella, begging her to forgive us, the other quickly 'helped' and forbade it. We were all in this together. As we would go through this together.

Luckily for us, we were gifted. Alice could see glimpses of Bella's future which she hid for me to allow Bella some privacy. And I could hear her friends' thoughts, to see what Bella was up to these days. Every once in a while, the three of them -Bella, Jessica and Angela- would do something fun, just for them. I've heard stories about visiting Port Angeles for some shopping, staying in on a Saturday to watch some romcoms and even having a little pamper afternoon with facemasks and gossiping. I never knew Bella was into these things, but I was delighted she seemed genuinely happy in those thought-shots.