Peanut butter cookies

Human au

Finally, I found the aisle with the peanut butter! I sprinted towards it, ignoring all the other jams and butters along the way.

Yep, the final ingredient on my mom's unbelievably long shopping list. Also the most important ingredient to make peanut butter cookies, a back-to-school tradition that my mom and I did every single year.

I hated it here, in this neighbourhood. Without my friends, Dex, Linh, and Tam, living here was like hell.

Why did we have to move? Even the local grocery store near where we used to live was better! The shelves weren't as high, everything was easier to find...

But it would be okay. Making peanut butter cookies with Edaline would make me feel better, slightly improve my mood. Something familiar in this strange new city was all that I needed.

The desired peanut butter sat at the front of the highest shelf, seeming to taunt me. It was the only jar left like it was waiting for me. Or, in this case, waiting to embarrass me.

I was short, I'll admit that. Not short enough for people to think of me as a child, but definitely short enough to not be able to reach the peanut butter on the stupidly high shelf.

I stood on my tiptoes, cursing my ridiculously bad balance, and used one hand to hold onto the middle shelf for support. I reached out my other hand, stretching out my fingers to grab the jar of peanut butter.

I couldn't reach it.

I let go of the middle shelf and took a step back. I bent my knees, jumping up and trying to grab the peanut butter again.

Thump.

Nothing.

I landed quite loudly, I hope no one heard me...

Thump.

I tried to jump again, and just like last time, my hand came back empty. This was frustrating and annoying- should I just cross it out of the list?

But it was worth one more try. Peanut butter cookies were at stake!

I bent my knees even more this time, stretching out both my hands as much as I could. 1,2,3, jump! I stretched my fingers out so much they hurt, and I could feel my fingers scrape the side of the jar.

But I couldn't reach it, and once again, I had no peanut butter.

I heard a chuckle from the end of the aisle. My head whipped around, my heart hammering itself against my ribcage and my face now red. Crap! Way to go, Sophie, embarrass yourself when you haven't even been in this place for more than 10 minutes!

I looked at the end of the aisle, where they laugh came from. Empty; no one was there. I must be imagining things. Either that or there was a ghost. The first explanation would be more preferable.

I bent my knees again, deciding to give the peanut butter one last try. Before I could, a smooth voice asked, "Do you need some help?" Followed by a throaty laugh. The laugh that I had heard seconds before.

Okay, not my imagination.

Once again, I turned around. This time, I found a boy staring at me. No ghost. I guessed that he was about 16 years old, around my age.

He had light blond hair and was wearing a shirt and jeans. He had ice-blue eyes, which were now staring at me with amusement.

Based on the 0.03 seconds that I gawked at him, I could conclude that he was the type of guy girls and a few boys fought over, swooned over, and dreamt about.