Homesick

I was homesick.

I didn't know what I missed about the Forbidden Cities. I didn't even know if I could call it homesickness; it wasn't my home. It never was. My home was here, in the Lost Cities.

So why did I feel so homesick?

The Neverseen was defeated, my abilities were under control, and I had the chance to live a peaceful life. I had everything I'd ever wanted.

Maybe that was why. Maybe because life was boring now, and if I just went back to where it all started, life would be full of meaning and adventure again.

But that probably wasn't it. I definitely did not want to face the Neverseen ever again.

I sighed and walked over to my closet, having a sudden urge to look at something from the forbidden cities. Aside from Ella, it was the only connection I had left with the human world. I last used it a few years ago, I didn't even know if I had it anymore.

I pushed past racks of frilly gowns, most of which I had never worn, and decorated tunics that would have made heads turn if I wore them in the Forbidden Cities. The back of my closet was dark, dusty, and unfamiliar. As you can probably tell, i did not spend much time in my closet.

At the very back, laying forgotten on the wooden floor, was a backpack. The legendary backpack that I left the forbidden cities with, travelled to the blackswan's hideout with, It was there, laying at the top of one of the cardboard boxes as if waiting for me to find it.

I zipped it open and peered into it. I had put it there, inside this bag, along with all my human clothes. It was too dark to see clearly in my closet, so I walked out and plopped onto my bed.

The bag contained my old, torn, human clothes. Twelve-year-old Sophie had a terrible fashion sense. But I wasn't looking for the clothes, I was looking for my iPod. Dex had fixed it for me, but after the big fights with the Neverseen and everything, I had stashed it in here.

I had to dig through clumps of t-shirts and leggings before I finally found it. There it was. The familiar little rectangle that had accompanied me throughout my human life. I eagerly snatched it out of the bag and plugged in the earphones.

I turned it on and swiped through playlists after playlists until I found one of my favorite songs. The familiar tune started blasting in my ears. I closed my eyes and sunk down into my bed, bobbing my head along to the heavenly music.

♡ 𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚜𝚔𝚒𝚙 ♡

"Foster?"

Something interrupted the music.

"Foster? Helllllooooooooo?"

I slowly pulled the earphones out of my ears and reluctantly opened my eyes, and found Keefe's face inches away from mine, staring at me curiously. I jumped back and may or may not have let out a little yelp.

"Woah, didn't know I scared you that much," He chuckled, making himself a little too comfortable on my bed. I pressed pause on the music and glared at him.

"You don't scare me at all. I was just surprised to see you here," I told him, shifting closer to him.

"And why is that? Are friends not allowed to see each other?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, I just didn't know you were here."

Keefe took the earphones from my hands and examined them. "Oh, are these the human phone things? What were they called, air-phones?" He asked excitedly, slipping one of the buds into his left ear.