𝟎𝟎𝟖 | 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠

Evanna sat on the edge of a bed— one that definitely didn't belong to her. She remained completely silent as she flipped through the book in her lap that she'd snuck into the restricted portion of the library just to gain access to.

After almost an hour of researching and reading every last line, she'd gotten no further than where she'd previously been the day before.

"Find anything yet, Darling?" His voice lowered as he enunciated the sweet name he called her. The way he spoke the word sounded soothing and kind to her— but to him it was a venomous trap, meant to entice the girl and lure him further into his grasp so that he had her wrapped around his finger.

He had a way with words. Love, Beautiful— and the one he used most often with her... Darling.

Whenever he called her Darling it made her want to stay, to be 'loved' by him. It was no secret to her that he held no regards for her heart at all, but maybe if she pretended that he loved her then it wouldn't be so hard to live with herself, knowing that what she was doing... the information she was giving him... it was all wrong and evil.

"No..." She quietly whispered her response, fearful of how he would take her lack of progress.

He was suddenly standing before her, causing Evanna to shyly look up at him. "No?" The boy reached forward, placing his hand beneath her chin as his thumb gently caressed her cheek. "You haven't found anything in that book of yours?"

"Not yet. I promise I'll have it—"

She was cut off mid-sentence and his grip on her jaw tightened, pulling her slightly closer so that she was leaning off of the bed. He looked at her for a brief moment before letting go of her, but they never broke eye contact.

"Find me something. Anything. You're a smart girl... you'll figure it out eventually," He began to step away from her, but stopped at the sound of her voice.

"Do I make you happy?"

He froze before turning around. "Yes. Very. I wouldn't keep you around if I didn't..."

Evanna felt a pain so harsh that her heart began to physically hurt.

He 'kept her around'.

Hearing him say that out loud made her feel sick, but for some reason she was so entranced by his charming ways and strikingly good looks that it was impossible for her to walk away.

That was the problem... she was in love with a boy who would never love her back...

•••

"You ready?" Roman Anderson looked at the girl who quickly nodded.

It was barely six in the morning, meaning that most of the students and adults were still asleep and it would be better cover to make their leave. It was fine for a few people to know that Roman had left, but they didn't want the whole castle to know until he was actually gone.

"I'm going to apparate myself there and you'll come back immediately— but in order to do that we need to cross the barrier just before the Forbidden Forest."

Evanna felt her entire body cringe upon hearing that she would have to leave the protective barrier that surrounded the castle and its grounds... something she hadn't done in months. The thought of even having to go outside was enough to frighten her, but she would have to get over that fear in order to accompany Roman as far as McGonagall would allow her to.

She gave a nod and took a step closer to the doors where a few professors were standing to wish Roman well on his way out.

Roman made his way over to Harry, where the two immediately began whispering in low voices so that no one could hear them, probably discussing plans for once he got there.