Chapter Thirty-Five: Primitive Swordplay

I sigh in frustration as Daesung follows me to the stairs. He is determined. I will give him that much. If having a building crashing down on top of him was not enough, now he wants to help me save any survivors while Umbra is still in the building. Is one brush with death, not enough?

"Just get outta here. You're only going to slow me down, which is the last thing I need right now," I explain. "I'll be right behind you."

     A look of scepticism dawns on Daesung's face. He stays silent for a moment, hopefully in consideration.

"Fine," Daesung finally blurts out. "Just...try not to get yourself killed," he adds, as he hesitantly makes his way down the flight of stairs.

     Surprised at my friend's quick resignation, but not having a second to lose, I rush up the stairs at the fastest speed my body will allow. An increasing tightness begins to build up in my chest, but I choose to ignore it.

     I instantly stop in my tracks as the familiar sound of gunfire sounds from somewhere nearby. Umbra's men must be close.

     A sudden chill crawls up my spine. Fear grips me as the grim reality of the situation begins to set it, the likelihood of my death becoming probable.

"Just go back..."

     I gnaw on my lower lip as I stand frozen in place. Is this worth dying for? Daesung is already out of here, and the rest of the team has probably already left. Anyone else who has survived the blast will surely die by Umbra's hand soon. Is there even anything I can do for them? My mind races back to when I was at Umbra's facility, doomed to who knows what kind of experimental horrors Umbra could inflict.

These people saved me from that. I ought to at least try and return the favour, even if it means my death.

     Without further hesitation, I recommence my ascension up the overly long stairway.

     I soon arrive at the next floor without further incident. I splutter a little, heaving down large gulps of air as I stumble forward. Much to my relief, I find the air on this floor significantly more breathable, with little to no smoke polluting it. The fire is mostly contained on the second floor.

     My sluggishness is abruptly interrupted as another short series of gunshots go off, echoing off the walls. These shots are significantly louder, and louder means closer.

     Against my better judgment, I sprint in the direction I last heard the gunshots. The sound of commotion up ahead drowns out any volume from my movement, but I slow my pace nonetheless.

     I give my surroundings a quick once-over before moving onward. My eyes catch on a half-buried weapons rack under the rubble. Rilo's sword rack, more specifically. This area must have been the training room before everything got blown to bits. I never did understand Rilo's strange fascination with such primitive weapons, but as of right now, my unarmed self could not be more grateful.

     Jumping at the opportunity to arm myself, I pull one of the swords from under the debris. It is surprisingly lighter than I expected, hopefully making it easy to swing around. I have not got the first clue how to use one of these things.

     With my newfound weapon, I turn the next corner with caution. My eyes land on two figures struggling. The significantly bulkier figure holds a gun in their hand, pointing it at the other person. I soon identify that person to be Rilo as he ducks under the other man's gun and aims a volley of punches at the burly man's face. Despite his phenomenal size, Rilo's opponent moves with speed and precision, escaping Rilo's fists with relative ease.

     Having seen enough, I charge forward, eager to get my hands dirty. I take advantage of my opponent's obliviousness to my presence and wildly swing my newly acquired sword at the man's arm as he raises it. He lets out a surprised yelp as the steel begins to sink into the flesh of his shoulder but pulls away before it can do any real damage.

     Cursing at myself for wasting such an opportunity, I try taking another swipe at him before he turns around. He spins around long before I get the chance.

     My jaw tightens as I instantly recognize the man when he turns around.

Viktor. That bastard from back at Umbra.

     A sudden force ramming into my torso knocks the air right out of me and sends me flying back a considerable distance. I grunt as my body collides with the floor.

     Winded, I struggle to find my feet. Viktor somehow seems much stronger than I remember him ever being before. His strength seems enhanced tenfold, maybe it has been.

     Viktor stumbles forward as Rilo's elbow crashes into the back of his neck harshly. Gaining composure almost instantly, Viktor spins around with inhuman speed. Before Rilo has a chance to react, Viktor grabs ahold of his neck, dangling him above the ground. Despite Rilo's fists hammering down on his arm, Viktor's grip only tightens.

     With a boatload of adrenaline coursing through me, I stagger up from the ground and launch towards Viktor. Calling upon all the strength I possess, I hack my sword into Viktor's arm once again. The blade carves itself into his lower shoulder once again. Slicing into his flesh like paper, the blade crunches through muscle and bone as one. I am showered in blood as his arm is completely severed from his shoulder.

     Viktor staggers, his eyes enlarging to exponential sizes. A roar of sheer agony erupts from him as blood spurts out in all directions from his stump of an arm. His other arm trembles as he weakly raises it, and points it in my general direction.

     I lurch to the side before he takes the shot. My body hits the floor as my sword clatters on the ground beside me. I skid a little before I put my arms out to steady myself.

     A fresh coat of blood sprays over me as the thunderous shrill of a gunshot goes off beside my ear. I snap my head up, my breath catching in my throat as two more gunshots follow the first.

A/N: Thank you for reading! Do not get too used to all these updates coming at you suddenly because my PC broke I have had a lot more time on my hands for writing, but now that my PC has been fixed the update schedule will soon be back to normal. Hopefully, you enjoyed it! Let me know your thoughts in the comment section!

-ѕиιρєявαιт