Chapter Three: Trouble Already

My running pace on the treadmill begins to slow as my legs grow tired. Beads of sweat form and trickle down my face. I smear them away with the back of my hand.

      Glancing across the room my eyes land on my new friend, G4. A silvery-haired girl stands beside her. She giggles at G4's attempt to do a chin-up, which proves to be quite entertaining. The other girl's most noticeable feature is a huge pair of wings attached to her upper back. It is hard to remember whether or not I have seen her here before.

     Suddenly a ringing sounds throughout the room. Everyone immediately halts what they are doing. They all head towards a metal set of double doors at the other side of the room.

     The ringing must signal the end of the exercise period so I slow the treadmill eventually bringing it to a stop. Everyone knows exactly where to go so following them seems the best option. It is not like I was given some kind of manual of the schedule or something.

     Heavy footsteps surround me as we walk down what appears to me as a maze of hallways. Scanning the crowd behind me I see about four guards following us. It is surprising there is not more of them considering no one is wearing cuffs which I am pretty grateful for at the minute. Cuffs really do not feel so good on the wrists. 

     I stray to the side of the lines of people walking in the hallway to look ahead. It is hard to see well from where I am, but I manage to grab a glance at another four guards stationed at the front.

     Not paying mind to my footing my face suddenly collides with the hard floor. Letting out a pained grunt I slowly force myself up from the ground. The passing people merely sidestep to avoid me while others give a few sniggers. I finally get up from the ground, briefly wiping over the sleeves my grey jumpsuit, which is now covered in a thin layer of dust.

     In a few minutes which seem to drag on for eternity, we arrive in yet another large room. It looks to be a cafeteria of sorts. The tall grey walls make it like every other room in this place. I squint at the bright light coming from the LEDs on the ceiling. I have not yet seen a single window in this lifeless place. Various long white tables stretch across the room paired with black chairs at each one.

      A strong-looking woman dishes some kind of grey slop into bowls. Everyone walks over in single file to the side of the room to a bench the lady passes them each a white bowl with the strange grey slop that I cannot identify in it.

     When it comes to my turn I hold out the white silicon bowl hesitantly. The lady carelessly dumps some the thick, grey substance into my bowl. Looking down at it in disgust I glance back up at the lady giving her a questionable look before slowly walking away.

     Suddenly I crash into something hard, falling backwards and landing on my butt. This would be the second time today I have fallen over like an idiot. 

     Blinking a couple of times I hear a low growl coming from above me. My eyes drift up from the empty bowl whose contents are spread on the floor. A strong well built mutant looks down at me with a glint of rage in his eyes. He looks to be some sort of boar hybrid judging from the tusks coming out of his mouth. I cannot tell his complexion other than red since he is so mad right now, but what I can tell is he is probably going to beat the life out of me by the look of him. Wads of the sloppy grey substance that was once in my bowl now freely drips down from his face.

     I let out a nervous chuckle and a barely audible apology. The bends over, grabbing my neck with one hand.  In a few seconds, my feet no longer touch the ground from the height he holds me at.

"You got slop on my shirt." The man spits out angrily. With his spare hand he slowly and dramatically wiping some of the grey coloured slop off from the side of his face.

     Pressure rises up in my head. I try to pry his finger off, my head feeling like it is about to explode as his grip on my neck continues to tighten.

     A voice abruptly speaks up, "Hey, hey big guy, put him down." This only causes the man to hold my neck even tighter if that is even possible at this point.

     Then they speak again, "Look, don't waste your time, we don't want to get the guards in here again now do we?" He negotiates.

     After a few seconds of silence, the man's grip on my neck loosens ultimately letting.  I land on two feet unfortunately only to crumble to the ground with a thump, not having the strength to stand up immediately.

     My blurred vision gradually begins to clear, allowing me to see the man responsible for strangling me over a bowl of sludge on his jumpsuit walk away. My gasps for air become less prominent as I let myself relax a little. I have seriously gotten myself into a lot of trouble in such a short amount of time.

     Some Asian guy comes walking over in my direction, presumably the one who stopped me from dying at the hands, well hand of a pig-human with anger issues.

"Looks like we got a clumsy one." He says goofily whilst giving me a hand and helping me off the floor. "You the new guy?"

"Yeah," I respond slowly and croakily while examing his features. He looks pretty well built like most everyone in here. The guy looks Chinese, Korean, or something like that.

     Well, this has been a more than eventful day. Not sure I can take much more of this, all I really know is I really got to get out of here.

Thank you for reading everyone

-ѕиιρєявαιт