Chapter Six: Mutation

A week or so has passed since I was brought here. At least it feels like a week, but it is hard to keep track of time in here. Every day seems the same in here, but a handful of days ago there was a slight change. One of the guys on the same cellblock as me, Dan, or Danny as everyone calls him, got taken for mutation. Gemma, the eagle girl, or as Ellie likes to call her 'old lady' due to her white coloured hair, was particularly concerned. We can all sympathise with each other. We all wake up in this place with no memories to call our own. Anyone you like gets snatched away from you for reasons partially unknown to you. You have no power over what happens here so all you can do is hope they will be okay. Luckily, Danny returned a few short days later, and very much alive at that. 

     Dan was seemingly normal at first to the extent of my knowledge anyway, given that he did not talk to anyone about it. In fact, come to think of it he does not talk to anyone that much let alone about his mutation. The effects of the 'mutation' appeared over the following days after that and much to my shock one of those things was a huge pair of black-feathered wings. We concluded his animal hybrid was some kind of crow or something, but when properly informed it was a 'raven' Danny always insists we stop calling him a crow.

     Gemma did not show that much concern after Danny came back, I think she is just happy someone else has a pair of wings. Much to everyone's dismay Ellie has already started making 'lovebirds' puns.

     I sit on the ground letting my mind wander, as blades of grass softly prick my hand. Umbra lets all the 'inmates' or whatever I should call them to go outside for a brief amount of time each day. It is probably just to keep us more healthy, but it is probably the only serenity any of us get in here. It is not that glamorous though, just a relatively large patch of grass outside a huge ugly building and enclosed by huge metal walls that are impossible to see over. Gemma being an eagle and all tried to fly over it once only to get shot down with a tranq by one of the snipers who are positioned in the corners of the square. If it were not for the seriousness of the situation I probably would have laughed.

     Eventually snapping myself out of my thoughts Daesung comes jogging over and plops himself down beside me on the grass with a sigh and turns over to me asking, "How's it going? Lost in your own thoughts, again?"

     I smirk playfully and shake my head then responding, "Yeah, well, I got a lot to think about."

 "Did you know him at all?" Daesung randomly asks out of the blue, his demeanour immediately changing, "Levi. The kid who died."

     My mood takes a dark turn as I hang my head a bit and think back to that night when he died. He was one of the guys on the cellblock, he kept to himself a lot. He never talked to anyone, ever, but then we never talked to him. When he did not come back from his mutation we knew he was a goner. I never really paid much attention to him, then again I did have a lot going on with myself. We did not really have time to go 'round getting to know people, but still. Poor kid, he looked quite a bit younger than everyone else. Like the rest of us, he woke up here without any memories of who he was, only unlike us he was alone. For the short amount of time he spent living he spent alone, well at least as much as he remembers he was alone.  Having been thinking about it a lot the guilt has been eating at me.

*snap*

 "You seriously need to stop zoning out like that dude, it's freaky."

 "Oh, uh yeah sorry 'bout that." I say thinking for a second only remembering his question a few moments later, "No, I uh, I didn't know him at all."

     Daesung gives a sad expression before speaking again, "Me neither."

 "I should've done something," I mumbled remorsefully and looked down into nothingness.

 "Hey, there was nothing any of us could've done to save him, it wasn't your fault."

     I look back up at him before responding, "No, you're right, it wasn't our fault he died." After a few long seconds I add in guiltily, "But it was my fault I never tried to help him. I knew what he was going through, for flip's sake I was going through it myself!" I shout angrily before standing up and continuing, "I was so focused on myself I didn't think about what was happening to that poor kid and now look, he's dead! Gone! He died, and he died alone." I shout, more talking to myself than Daesung before walking away in no particular direction.

     To make matters worse than they already are I have the knowledge of knowing I am the next in line for the next mutation.

Thanks for reading! Sorry, I took a while to update! I will probably be updating for frequently now again! What do you think so far? Love it? Hate it? Leave a comment!

-ѕиιρєявαιт