Chapter Thirty-Nine: Aftermath

I close my eyes, trying to tune out the piercing screams originating from the next room. Since arriving at the safehouse the only thing filling the narrow hallways and packed rooms was the pained cries of several wounded survivors. How many of us have made it out alive is shocking, given the circumstances, but our numbers are still severely lessened, courtesy of Umbra's attack. There were enough mutants to fill at least three of the extraction vans, which is far more than I could have realistically expected, but pitifully few compared to how many mutants there were before. Hopefully, there is a couple more that made it out that just have not got here yet.

     Another scream rips through the air. I clench my jaw tightly. Selfish as it sounds, I just want them to shut up. A few hours of this would drive anyone insane.

     More than half our number are seriously injured, hence the ongoing screaming. Gemma and a handful of other medics have been working tirelessly in the next room, no doubt trying desperately to keep the wounded alive.

"They don't have enough medical supplies, ya know?"

     My eyes snap open to see Chester silently creeping over from the other side of the room, carefully weaving his way around the half-asleep mutants sprawled over the floor. He slowly slides down the wall, seating himself on the floor beside me. "Those people we've been listening to scream for the past three hours, half of 'em will be dead by morning."

     I fix my gaze on him, my green eyes briefly locking with his icy blue ones. "Ellie's one of those people," I snarl.

"I know." He remains completely monotone his attention shifting elsewhere.

     My temperature spikes as my pulse begins to quicken. "You really don't care do you? About...well about anything," I sneer in disgust.

"Should I?" he scoffs. "I mean just look at Ellie. See where caring gets you." He pauses for a moment. "If Ellie had of got out when she had the chance instead of going back for you she wouldn't be in this mess."

"Don't think I don't know that."

     He turns back to me. "I saw what you did. Climbing down a building with her on your back. It was real noble and all, but you could've just left her. It's not like she's going to make it anyway."

     Like a light switch flicking off, something inside me just...snaps. Perhaps my last shred of patience. I shoot up off the floor, grab ahold of Chester's shoulders, and slam him again the wall with far more force than necessary.

"I suppose that's what you would've done then?!" I roar, spit flying out of my mouth and all.

     No fear resides on his face, or just none visible. He remains silent, but the look of defiance etched across his features gives a resounding answer.

Yes.

     By this point, we must have captured the attention of most everyone in the room judging from the movement in my peripheral speedily drawing closer. Muffled voices shout incoherently behind me before several pairs of hands are soon clawing me off of Chester.

     Breathing heavily and pulse racing, I thrash around violently to break free, but with little success. I try to elbow one of them in the gut, but only manage to get myself caught in a firm chokehold. One of their muffled voices utters something, but I struggle to make anything out past the sound of my heart rapidly thumping. My struggling continues, but their firm grip on me only tightens.

"I'm not lettin' you go until you calm down, ya hear?" I recognize Rychner's coarse voice behind me.

     I give an affirmative nod, well as much of a nod as I can give when in a chokehold.