Homecoming 《2》

What are we gonna do?” Jordan’s voice was loud and demanding as he asked his dad about what they were going to do about the game at hand. Janelle stood next to Spencer, listening in to their conversation, only to be drawn attention to Spencer as he spoke to her. 

“How are you? You seemed to be good on the field, but Jackson called and he said-” 

“I’m fine, so can we just not talk about it. Let’s just focus on the game, which we are currently losing.” Janelle said as she zoned out thinking of what plays she could make on the fly. She remembered Hamilton's Offensive Playbook like the back of her hand. She had multiple plays in mind, but they all seemed to be too risky for them to use at this moment in time. 

A thought hit her like a bullet, as she remembered the gameplays she would see of Spencer and Crenshaw’s plays, but before she could speak, Coach had seemed to be already thinking one step ahead of her. 

“Spencer. How well do you remember Crenshaw’s Offensive playbook?” Coach questioned his player, as he saw a light of hope flash his mind. 

“It’s burned into my skull, but there ain’t no way this team can adjust on the fly,” Spencer said, stealing glances at both the QBs that stood by either of his sides. 

“All right. Maybe so, but I've seen you play. It's a two-man game, right? You’re playing catch with the QB.” Coach Baker said, pointing to Jordan. 

“Yea, you right.” 

“Pick your favorite three plays and get to work.” He said, talking only to Jordan and Spencer. 

“Jordan’s gonna need-”. 

“Get it done, get it done. Listen up J.” Coach said, as he walked off. Janelle turned over to look at the boys, which were speed walking away. 

“Ugh!.” Janelle groaned out, as she banged the locker, and got looks from her teammates. She ignored them as she walked into the hallway, into the girl's locker room, angered by the fact she wasn’t going to be of any use. 

***

The game began again, as Janelle viewed the field from the sidelines. She was angered, but she tried her best to keep herself composed. She had finally got the chance to play again, and for someone she cared for to die and force her coach to believe she wasn't in the best mindset to help win the game, she had no other choice than to be angry. 

She rolled her neck, clockwise, as she tried to relieve all the emotion she had buried underneath. Her team was close to winning the game, only for the attention to be drawn from the boy who had just approached her. 

“Hey, love. I wanted to know how you were doing?” He said as he handed the girl flowers. Yellow and Orange marigolds had always been her favorite flower since she could remember, and the fact that Jackson also remembered such a simple thing, made her lips curve upwards, as she took them from his grasp, admiring the vegetation. 

Janelle inhaled the scent of the flowers, and she exhaled all the thoughts she had inside. “I’m okay, Jacks. I just needed to be alone, I hope you understand.” She said, as her brows furrowed, at the realization he wasn’t supposed to be there. “Jacks, you do know you can’t be down here, right?” She questioned, admiring the bouquet in front of her. 

“Coach let me be here, my love. I know how hard today might be, he thought you might have needed some company. He told me you were out the rest of the game.” He said as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, waiting for his girl to feel the warmth and comfort. It helped, more than he could know. 

They both stood in silence as their attention was drawn by Jordan running down the yard lines, as he made the final touchdown, winning the game for Beverly.