Chapter Four: Entitlement

(See the end of the chapter for author's notes.)

(WARNING: This chapter includes the consumption of alcoholic beverages)

Hollow was sitting, listening to the delicate raindrops patter against the glass window and the roof outside. He was sitting on a rather comfortable bench, but the situation he was in indicated the opposite. Hornet was in the same room as him, staring at the floor in deep thought, and Pure was sitting on the floor. Pure had spent the last 20 minutes talking to Hollow and asking some questions. Unfortunately, Hollow could barely answer one of them. 

He had no idea why Stinger had tackled Hornet, and he had no clue as to the background of his unconscious friend. In fact, was he even his friend? Hollow hardly knew him and he had now attacked his sister. Another issue was that they were seemingly trapped in the city, at least for now. With not much geo and Stinger now unconscious, it would be some time before they could return to Dirtmouth.

Hollow looked at where Stinger laid, his eyes closed and his body nonmoving. During his and Hornet's fight, his sister had slammed her hand onto one of Stinger's horns, and cracks were clearly visible in Stinger's chitin. Neither of them had been wielding their nails, which was fortunate considering his sister's lethality.

Pure stood up after a minute or two and walked out of the room. Hornet watched him leave and seemed decided she would do the same, leaving Hollow as the only one waiting for Stinger to awake.

_________________________...................._________________________

Stinger awoke in a cold, dimly lit room. His head hurt, and upon rubbing it, he noticed a small bandage was wrapped around one of his horns. 

Stinger also noticed that the aura of fear he had been feeling recently was faded. He was thinking clearer and felt much less fearful on the surroundings. He could hear the raindrops peacefully pattering against the window.

Then he remembered. The fear, taking control. He heard footsteps, and the creaking of the floorboards. He could imagine his assailant, raising a dagger to plunge into him. 

But none of that was real. His "assassin" was Hornet, probably awake to get some water. He had tackled her out of fear. It was irrational and he likely hurt her badly. 

A sudden movement from Hollow indicated that the silent bug was waking up, despite not making any verbal noises like a yawn or groan. Stinger waited until Hollow woke up, and once Hollow made some eye contact he made his greeting. 

"Good Morning, I suppose." 

("...") Hollow seemed to smile at him, but he also seemed more cautious of Stinger.  Undoubtedly, this was due to Stinger's attack on Hornet. This added to Stinger's shame, but he couldn't muster up any words to apologize anyway.

Stinger rubbed his head again. His horns felt cracked under the bandage.

"I don't suppose you've got any food?"

Hollow looked up at him again, before standing and gesturing him to follow. Stinger stood up, and followed Hollow out of the room, and down a small flight of squares on the building they had stayed in.

Stinger walked, noticing the dampness of the air as the two began to walk down the street in between all the residents of the city, going about their day. Stinger noticed a distinct smell about the air, mixing with the rain's scent. He smelled moist plants and the smell of cooked meat. Hollow led him down the street, and the smells only became stronger before they reached a stand with a short line beside it. The stand served Yeel, a special delicacy in the City of Tears made from packed meat stuck on a stick, with grass or leaf wrapping holding it together.