Chapter Nineteen: Broken and Bleeding

(See end of the Chapter for Author's Notes)

_________________________...................._________________________

"Outer lands untamed. Inner peace achieved. But with Heart, Strength, and Greed, One can brave both, unafraid."

Outland, by Scholar of Hallownest. 

_________________________...................._________________________

As Stinger fell to the ground, he was swarmed by the ants. He had managed to kill one, but he was quickly overpowered by the armored insects. Despite his decent fighting skill and dangerous acid, it was obvious he was outmatched. 

It wasn't long before the ant's began to take advantage of his fall. They kicked him, or bit his appendages with such intensity they felt as if they could sever. One was unlucky enough to bite his shoulder pauldron, and he heard the snapping of the mandible as the strong metal withstood the attack. 

He waved his nail again, but it was taken from him soon after leaving him almost completely defenseless. After a while, the attacks faltered, and despite his damaged shell, Stinger heard the conversation of the ants as they discussed what to do with him.

"Almer. Lets take him back. Her Majesty..."

"Shut your mouth." the largest ant, "Almer" spoke with the deep tone Stinger had recognized before. "Leave it in the alley over there. No one's coming to get it. This scum isn't our target anyway."

On command, the other ants swarmed back around him, and Stinger felt himself hoisted up before being violently thrown into an alley. He landed with a sickening crunch, or, was it under him? His body was so numbed by the attacks he couldn't tell if that was his shell or something he had landed on. 

Slowly, it set in his situation. He was all alone. Crippled, and broken. He couldn't move his back, or either of his legs. One of his arms was filled with such pain he swore it was severed. He tried to let out a scream, but no sound was heard over the pouring of the rain.

(Am I dying?)

Stinger closed his eyes, feeling the drops of water run down his head as he slowly shut his eyes. 

_________________________...................._________________________

(Where are you, Stinger?)

Hornet had been waiting at the Rainy Day for some time now. Ogrim had told her that a large figure like Hollow had arrived, and shortly after all of them had run in a direction which she knew led to the Rainy Day. 

After arriving there with Ogrim, Hornet had spent some time waiting, not wanting to discuss things with Pure and Ogrim until after Stinger arrived. Not to mention, Pure was attending to something in the kitchen, but she hadn't gone back to see what it was and Quirrel wasn't telling her anything. 

"It's a hurt bug, that's all." He had said to her.

(A hurt bug?)

Why did Pure have an injured bug with him? Had he met with the White Lady? What was he doing to that bug in the kitchen? And why was such an angry looking cricket scowling at them all in the lobby?