Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Subtlety of Strangulation

(See the End of the Chapter for Author's Notes.)

(WARNING! This chapter contains mentions and depictions of alcoholism, as well as some themes of blood and gore. There is also some adult language in this chapter, so please keep that in mind when reading.)

________________________...................________________________

My king...

Where are you now?

- Royal Servant

________________________...................________________________

The path to the White Lady was so much longer than Stinger had ever anticipated. What he had assumed would be a 2 day trip had quickly spiraled into a walking marathon to talk to the former Queen of Hallownest.

Who to be honest, Stinger was not sure was even alive anymore. From what he had heard, the last anyone had heard from the Queen, she was apparently tied up in a metal egg. He also heard that she was a tree, so he wasn't sure what to feel about that.

It was now that the trio of Hornet, Laura, and Stinger found themselves in the Fungal Wastes, past the vicious growth of the Greenpath and into the even more hostile grave of mushrooms and bulging fungi.

(This area is even worse than the last time I was here.) Stinger thinks quietly to himself.

And it was true. The amount of spores in the air of the Fungal Caverns have multiplied, possibly threefold. The fog of spores was so dense, Stinger could just barely make out Hornet's scarlet cloak 20 feet ahead of him. He squints his three eyes, trying to avoid irritating them with the sheer amount of spores flooding into his mask.

"We are nearing the secret entrance to the Gardens." Hornet says from ahead, suddenly interrupting the croak of a nearby Loodle. Stinger looked at her, nodding and hoping she was able to recognize it through the dense spore fog.

Stinger looked down at the fungus covered flooring of the cavern as he walked, struggling a bit to maintain his footing. The pressure of assured nightmares in the evening was taking its toll, and at this point Stinger had not had a solid night's sleep in several days. Not to mention that the physical stress of Hornet's training was beginning to wear on him. Despite the intensity of their previous sparring match, Stinger had no clue if he had actually won or not. After all, when he awoke, he was back at the campsite.

Not to mention, he didn't quite have the confidence to ask Hornet if he won or lost. So the three-eyed bug opted to ignore the issue, for now.

(At least there weren't any nightmare's last night...)

Stinger was prompted to look up when he bumped into Laura's back, upon which her could see that both the mute and Hornet had come to a full stop, and were looking into a narrow entryway. Despite the entryway clearly being empty, both were looking at it anxiously.

(Is there something there I can't see...?) Stinger peeked his own head over Laura and Hornet's shoulders, trying to get a look at the fungal overgrown passage.

Looking closer, Stinger was able to see a lumafly lantern illuminating the passage further on, as well as the ominous green glow of acid. Beyond that, most details were obscured by the spores.

"...What are we looking at...?" He whispers to Hornet, who promptly turns her head to glare at him.

"Quiet." She demands it harshly yet quietly. Stinger promptly shuts his mouth, regretting having even asked.

Stinger continues to watch the passage with them quietly, focusing on any noises or maybe scents that were coming from that direction. Still, nothing.

Stinger debates bringing up his question again, and decides against it. He was sure that if his travelling partners were concerned, there was a means for it.