Chapter Twenty-Three: Into the Wilds

(See the End of the Chapter for Author's Notes.)

_________________________..................._________________________

"You act so confident in battle. You show no fear before your foes. 

I'll try my best to do the same."

- Cloth

_________________________..................._________________________

The heart of Greenpath is one of the most lively and noisy regions in the entire kingdom of Hallownest. Inside the lush thickets and underbrush, many bugs and other creatures live a now wild and unprotected life. While the days of protection the greenery had under the previous monarchs of Hallownest fall further behind, dangerous beasts have been more prominently attacking bugs wandering through or foraging in the lush foliage.

"Not that that's a problem for us. With me around." Hornet explained.

Stinger, Hornet, and Laura had by now spent a day or two heading the direction of the Queen's Gardens, and Hornet had taken plenty of time to explain to Stinger everything she could think of to him.

As they walked, Stinger couldn't help but think Hornet saw him as incompetent, but he didn't know much about anything in this kingdom, so he decided to keep his mouth shut. 

"Many dangerous creatures are lurking in not only Greenpath but also the Fungal Wastes and Queen's Gardens." Hornet went on. "I'll explain them to you after we set up camp."

Stinger knew the night was quickly approaching, but it seemed rather early to be setting up camp. "Isn't it early to be doing that? There must be a few hours before the night cycle begins." 

"We aren't in the city anymore. And since you aren't used to these areas, I'd like you to know more before we get into the wilderness."

Stinger peered around them, carefully stepping around a mass of leaves that growled as his leg brushed it.

"Are you sure we aren't already in the wilderness?" He asked. The spider turned her head towards him. 

"Quite sure. We won't hit it until tomorrow."

A rustling ahead caught Stinger's attention. Laura came from the foliage ahead, signing at Hornet. Stinger couldn't process any of what the mute was saying, as their signing was so quick and fluid. In honesty, Stinger was surprised Hornet could understand it.

Hornet turned her head back to him. "Looks like they've found a place."

Stinger tried to keep up with Hornet as she plowed ahead but inevitably tripped on a stray branch. His head slammed against the moss-riddled stones below. Turning his head, he looked at the branch he'd tripped on.

At least, he had thought it to be a branch. Looking now, the brown limb moved away, dragged into the bushes beyond his view. 

Stinger held his breath for a few moments, feeling keenly aware of eyes in the foliage. A moment later, he heard Hornet calling out to him.

"Stinger! Come on, we're getting the fire ready."

"Yeah." He called back, not taking his eyes off the foliage. He stood up, walking slowly toward the direction Hornet had run off, unaware of what had been watching him.

_________________________..................._________________________

Hornet had never been an adept camper. She hadn't learned to use the updated technologies like the rest of Hallownest, and so the concept of a tent was unfamiliar. She understood the premise, but it seemed much more work than simply spinning a hammock of silk.