Chapter Twenty-Two: Sear of a Lantern's Flame

(See End of the Chapter for Author's Notes.)

_________________________..................._________________________

"Being gallant to your enemies is no virtue! If someone opposes you, they don't deserve respect or kindness or mercy."

Precept Thirty-Three

_________________________..................._________________________

After an unrestful night, Hornet had no patience to spare arguing with her brother.

Despite that, it seemed Hollow had every intention of arguing with her until he had his way. He had awoken before her, and everyone else, only to then abruptly pull her from her dreams. Despite the unpleasantness of her sleep, she wasn't too grateful for Hollow's spontaneous acts. 

Hollow was signing frantically at her, but Hornet's weary eyes were still adjusting to the dark of the room. She tried her best to keep up with the conversation, but it was impossible to understand Hollow's frantic words. All Hornet knew was he was upset with something.

"Just... give me a moment, please."

Hollow stopped his panicked sentence short but bore an annoyed expression as he waited for Hornet's eyes to adjust. Hornet's internal clock told her it was still quite early, although it was difficult to read the time well with the rain outside. Looking out a nearby window, the dark pattering of raindrops was as consistent as ever.

Hornet turned her head back to her brother, taking a few deep breaths. 

"Alright. Tell me again. Slowly, please."

Her brother took his time explaining what he had been so outraged at just moments earlier. While his frustration clearly bore on the structure of his signing,  Hornet was able to pull what information she needed from his statement to build a more complete understanding of what her brother had told her.

At that moment, Hornet wasn't sure if she should have bore a look of horror or devout resolve. If what Hollow was telling her was true then...

(My nightmare...)

Had the nightmare king and the troupe of Grimm returned? Even though Hollow had cast the Nightmare King to the shadows in space from it had come from? Hornet wasn't too well versed in the ancient history of Hallownest, nor that of ancient gods, but she knew that the return of the Nightmare King would have ill effects on the kingdom, perhaps powerful enough to topple it before Pure could get it standing again.

Hornet thought to herself a moment, leaving Hollow in his state of perpetual worry, not getting any advice on this plight he had informed her of. Hornet was where Hollow usually went for solutions he couldn't find himself, and it was no doubt her silence was worrying him.

Hornet perked her head up. There was only one thing that she figured would once again quench the blazing, malicious intentions of the returning god.

Hollow would have to defeat him again. 

Hornet was sure it was feasible. After all, despite Pure's best efforts, all of the siblings from the White Lady's and Pale King's brood were still creatures of the void. The inky substance which made up Hollow was the only thing that gave him any shot of defeating the Nightmare King last time.

Hornet's thoughts were interrupted by a tapping on her shoulder.

"What?" Hornet once again focused her vision on her brother, her eyes now the ones shining with worry.