Chapter Eighteen: Bad Habits

(See end of the chapter for Author's Notes.)

_________________________...................._________________________

"Your words can cut me deeper than any nail could. But, scars always heal."

_________________________...................._________________________

As Pure ran with Kahu in his arms, his mind continued to panic. Hollow was running ahead of him, leading him to whoever "Wincey" was, but Pure wasn't sure what was wrong with Kahu. The hot spring had healed their wounds, hadn't it? What was happening to them?

One thing Pure had decided. He had taken Kahu to far to let them die now.

If Pure focused his vision, he could see the buildings through the haze ahead. Hollow was heading straight for them. He ran quicker through the puddles and rain, aiming to get there before Pure.

(This must be it.) He looked down at the bug in his arms. 

(Hold on a moment longer.)

When Hollow reached the door of the restaurant, Pure could see him looking inside the window. 

(It must be locked.)

It was only a moment before Pure had also reached the door. Inside the window, the lights were on. Was no one inside?

"We can't wait. Here. Hold them." Pure handed Kahu's body gently to Hollow before he began to shove himself against the door. After banging against it a few times, it opened up to a startled cricket.

"I- What's going on out here?" 

Without a word, Pure took Kahu from Hollow's arms and shoved his way past the cricket, walking into the cafe. Inside, a small phonograph was playing a typical cafe tune, while someone in the kitchen was making quiet hums to the music. Pure pushed past the main counter into the kitchen, where another cricket was washing the dishes in the sink. Upon seeing Pure enter, the bug let out a scream.

"GAH!" It tossed the dish it was holding into the air, only for it to shatter against the low ceiling. The *quite* low ceiling. Pure had to crouch just to enter the room. Giving the cricket a glare, Pure entered the room.

Seeing a nearby table in the kitchen, Pure set Kahu's body down, while Hollow, and the cricket from the door, ran into the kitchen. The one who had been washing dishes began shouting very quickly.

"No! No, No, No! Wincey, You get that blood soaked giant out of my kitchen!" The dish-washer yelled in a tone indicating them as a male. The other, whom the male had called Wincey, had a much higher voice. 

"Tash..." Wincey walked over to the other cricket, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Tash" swatted her hand away.

Hollow walked over to Pure, helping him set the giant Mantis onto the table comfortably.

"Excuse me? Yes. You, big one. Why are you here?" Tash asked

Pure turned his head to the cricket, but said nothing. Instead, he began inspecting the spot where Kahu's wounds had been. (There must be something hurting them.)

A short inspection of the body, however, contradicted this. Granted, Pure couldn't focus very well with Tash yelling, but he saw no new cuts or other wounds in the mantis' shell.

"You." He turned to Wincey. "Come here."

Slowly, the nervous cricket, moved her way over to the table.

"We need a doctor. This mantis... Something is wrong with them. Do you know of any doctors in the city?"

"O-oh, of course. There's one down the block." Wincey told him.

Pure nodded to Hollow. "Take my brother there. Return with that doctor. Tell them... Tell them it's by order of the king."

Wincey nodded worriedly, grabbing Hollow's hand and running out of the kitchen. Tash began to let out disgusted gags, looking now at the red-tinged puddle's Pure had leaked all over the floor from his wet cloak.

Pure focused his attention on Kahu. Putting a gentle hand on one of the mantis's horns, he whispered.

"Hold on. Just hold on." He spoke quiet and soft.

"They'll be here very soon."

"Just hold on."

_________________________...................._________________________

It seemed the rain would fall forever in the city. As Stinger continued to rest his head atop Hornet's, more and more tears fell from the cavern roof so high above, and dramatically splashed into the puddles of the street.

How long had he been here? It seemed like ages. All these roads and paths he already knew to well.

(It's here again. Calling me.)

That same feeling, calling him to explore what he hadn't seen.

Slowly, Stinger raised his head off of Hornet's, who in turn took her head off his shoulder. 

"Alright. Time to go back to the statue?" Hornet's tone had returned to it's normal state, now that they had settled their conflict. She slid off the ledge and turned, heading the direction of the fountain.

Slowly, Stinger followed suite.

(Leave? What am I thinking?)

Pure would need all the help he could get with rebuilding the rules of this kingdom. Besides, if he really wanted to learn why he was drawn here, he was already with the best bugs to find out.

Hornet ran ahead, waving to Stinger before the mist overtook her image, and he could no longer see her. He knew the way, she probably just wanted to get there first. After all, it wasn't supposed to be long after they first arrived that Pure would meet them there.

And so Stinger walked alone, through the rain, towards the statue he had so many questions about. As he walked, he passed a few bugs on the road, receiving only unwelcoming glances.

(I guess I've never walked alone before...)

As he continued walking, a feeling of unease built within his shell. A feeling of eyes on him.

(I think I'm being followed.)

Reaching over his shoulder, Stinger checked for his blade, relieved at the touch of the familiar metal handle. Good to have some protection. 

"Hey."

Stopping in his tracks, Stinger turned around, facing the speaker.

A large Ant. With a dark shell.

"Ready for round two?"

Stinger slung his blade from his shoulder, brandishing the long nail with a flourish of spins, before settling it at his side.

Stinger spat out his next words in as dark a tone he could muster.

"If you're ready to die, I am."  

_________________________....................________________________