Chapter # 1

~~Does my heart beat for you or my heartbeats are for you?~~

"When I am staying, then so are my employees." I ordered sternly, not looking from my file. "The audit is next week and I don't want any glitches like last time." I enunciated to my assistant Shehzad, glancing at her through the file, I gave him a sharp look from my emerald eyes to leave and don't bother me anymore. With a nod and saddened expression he walked away.

With another sigh, I continued to work on my file and did the survey of the warehouse, checking our trading list, ignorant of the time, I worked and finally returned home exhausted late at night. I went to my room putting my bag in the corner, loosening my tie and taking off my coat, rolling my sleeves and looking at my reflection in the mirror. I blinked and ran my hand in my pitch-black hairs, making them messy and sighed which showed my tiredness.

I took a quick shower, with a towel around my neck and trousers, I took out a casual shirt and wore it and went to the kitchen to find something which can fill my empty stomach.

I walked down the stairs and heard a voice calling my name. "Adeel." Stopping in my tracks, I turned to the source of voice and saw none other than my Mother coming with her usual kind smile. "You are so late." She complained. I chuckled, giving her a side hug, "I had some work."

"Hmm. You must be hungry, sit down, I shall heat up your food." She smiled, walking away. I smiled back and nodded.

I sat down and she came. "By the way, why are you awake?" I asked. She served the food and sat down, "I was waiting for my son." She replied. I smiled and began to eat.

"How was your day?" She asked. "Mhm. As usual, you know because of the audit, the work has increased." I told her. "I am so proud of you. You work hard so your father won't stress." She said, patting my head. "Dad has worked for us his whole life. Did everything he could for us to settle in the USA, at least that's what I can do for him." I replied.

"You are such a good boy."

"Mama, don't call me this." I frowned. "Ha, ha, ha, why not?" A laugh came from behind indicating it's my brother Idrees who is two years younger than me. He grinned and came along with Dad. "Assalam o Alaikum." I smiled and continued to eat as they both joined the conversation while replying with a 'Walikum Assalam'

"Well Amna, did you give your good boy the good news yet?" Dad said, sitting down. "Good news?" I asked, stopping and raising a brow. "You're 27 brother." Idrees said from behind. "So?" I shrugged my shoulders. "Hmm. so why don't we find a girl for you?" He teased. I choked up, covering my mouth with my hand, I remained silent, registering his words. "Are you okay?" Mama asked. Clearing my throat, I nodded, "Yeah."

I quickly rose from my seat, "I am exhausted. Good night, everyone." I excused myself and went to my room, trying to avoid any further conversation about it. I exhaled my frustration, shaking my head in disappointment because my family doesn't understands that I don't want to marry right now.

Shrugging any thought which could afflict my mind in unwanted wrath or tension, I went to sleep. The next day was Sunday so I was at home, deciding to take some rest before immsering completely in work. I was laying on the couch in the lounge, humming to myself while watching TV but then Mama came and motioned me to turn off the TV and the commanding look on her face was visible for me to obey as I turned it off and sat up, listening to her,

"Ah, congratulations.... Of course, we all waited for this day. I cannot explain my elation... Yeah! I am so happy to share the news... Yeah, yeah, we will be there... Inshallah, Allah Hafiz." And with this she cut the off.