Chapter # 2

~Maisha POV~

It recalled grace drips from her presence. 
Shall I accuse spring for her elegance?

A soft smile came to my lips when I heard the poetry being played behind. I grabbed the mascara and applied it. My hazel eyes glimmered when I was getting ready. 

They stare at her with their might.
Why don't I desire to catch this sight?

A chuckle escaped my lips when I heard these lines while combing my dark brown hairs. Iconically they compare human beauty with things. 

O, the ruler of fortunes, espy your beauty.
I hope then you will realize what you do to me.

Foolish. I thought. "Perishing life for appeal." I mumbled. Taking my phone and turning off the video as I took my red dupatta, matching with my dress and walked out of the room after getting ready.

My fingers brushed against the railing as I walked down from my room, eyes following the atmosphere of the mansion; lively as usual. 

With a smile, I went to the main hall only to find Ammi there. She is our grandmother but we all call her Ammi. 

"Assalam o Alaikum, Ammi. How are you?" I asked sweetly, taking a seat. "Ah, look my love is here." She smiled and kissed my forehead. "Walikum Assalam. I am great, dear. Congratulations on completing graduation." She said, patting my head. "Thank you." I said sincerely. 

"Now she has done it, it's time to marry her off." Javeria, my best friend and cousin popped out of nowhere as her sentence made me frown, "I believe there's a time and occasion to speak about certain things, Javeria." I said, without looking at her, emitting a sigh.

"Why not? We all know your final destination is with Adeel." She smirked, taking a seat. The mention of his name caused a shiver anticipated with a strange feelings to go down my spine. With a tint of scarlet, my eyes went wide for a few seconds. 

"Besides, you're twenty five… Ammi look, she is blushing." She teased, pushing me from her shoulder.

"D-don't bother me. I am not." I stammered, looking away as my heart began to beat fast by mere mention. "Don't tease her." Ammi thankfully took my side and scolded her. 

"Okay, okay. By the way, Maisha." Javeria called me. "Why did you do Urdu literature? Since your future is in the USA." She smirked again but I turned to her tugging my hair behind my ear, retorting, "Exactly. I want to prioritize my language." 

"I get it, but still need to learn English to settle... Or else you might not seen as inferior." She continued. My frown deepened by her words, narrowing my eyes I replied, "Oh so gauche. Why do we care for something which is based upon prejudice?" 

"It's a fact. Most of the world speaks it." She continued to argue. "And that's why I want to give importance to my language." I smiled, turning to Ammi who smiled back. 

"You know people judge you by language here." She joked. With a sigh, I responded, "As I said, prejudice." Rising from my seat, I pushed my hairs from my shoulder to my back. 

"Stop flexing your grace, we know you are charming." She pouted, getting up. I raised a brow, "What do you mean?" 

"You are the prettiest." She told me, which caused me to giggle and pinch her cheeks, "I don't call myself as ridiculous as this." I told her and went to the dining room and saw my parents there. 

I greeted them and took a seat. "Ah look, our princess is here." Papa smiled, giving me his blessing. I smiled back as the breakfast began after a while.

After breakfast, I went to my room and Javeria came hastily. "What happened?" I asked, Raising a brow. "Come with me, quick!" She panted and before I could protest, she grabbed my wrist and took me with her.

"What are you doing?" I asked, yanking my wrist, not apprehending what happened that she was impatient. She pointed toward the hallway where Mama was talking to someone over the phone.

I shrugged, not knowing what to do.  With a sigh of disappointment, she said, "Khala is talking about your marriage with Amna Aunty." She told me. Instant blush adorned my face. Quivering slightly, my heart began to race upon hearing it. My mind was surrounded with a sweet affliction I couldn't resist. With a shy smile, I was about to walk away but Javeria stopped me and took me with her. "Let's listen." She smirked. My blushed deepened as I shook my head in denial. My heart was beating abnormally. "Come on." She took me with her. I walked closer while hiding in the corner so Mama might not spot me and listened.

"Maisha finally completed her graduation." She told her. 

"Thank you. Thank you. I believe it's time for us to fulfill the promise made years ago." When she said it. My heart skipped a beat. I swallowed the lump in my throat, not believing what my ears were hearing. 

"Me too! I will tell everyone." Mama chirped, the grin not leaving her lips. I moved back, pressing myself against the wall while holding my dupatta tightly, fluttering sensations washed over me and I could barely control myself.

"Why don't you come?" Oh, My. 

"Okay then, we will wait. Let's pray things go well. Allah Hafiz." and with this, she cut the call.

"Someone is getting married." Javeria turned to me with a mischievous smile over her lips, teasing me. My heart stopped a second and I walked away, trying to act cool but from inside I was bursting. 

With an exhale. I went to my room and acted as if nothing happened while Javeria continued to push me past my limits with her endless talks about him. 

"Hey future Bride." She teased, plopping on the bed. "Shut up." I rolled my eyes. "Oh, come on, who are you trying to fool?" 

"No one. If you think about it, it's vexing." I breathed out, turning to her. "How so?" 

"How am I supposed to settle in a new country? I don't even know him properly. We rarely talk. What if he knew nothing about the promise?" I told her about my worries. 

"Oh, come on, do you think Aunt will hide such a big thing from him? His parents must have refrained him from talking just like you. Don't worry, it's going to be fine... Do you still remember how he beat a kid because he hurt you before leaving?" She asked. 

A spark arose in me as I looked down with a smile, remembering the time when he beat a kid back in school who hurt me. "That was in childhood." I mumbled.

"Still. Don't worry. It's going to be fine. I am sure he will do the same now." Assured by her words, I sleep peacefully at night, trying not to let any negative emotion cross my mind.

The next day, we were having breakfast. Things were going monotonously until I heard my Papa saying what I dreaded yet wanted, "Shahid is coming next month with everyone for Maisha's marriage." 

A violent shiver evoked from my core to hear this. Incapable of bearing those words which weigh more than my chest could bear with uncontrollable urges overflowing, I ran away.