Chapter # 8

"How are you Maisha?" Ruqaiya asked, wanting to know if she is happy with her married life or not. "I am fine." She replied coldly, folding her clothes. "Just fine?" She asked. "Yeah. What else could it be?" Maisha asked again with a sad smile. "Does Adeel treat you right?" She asked hesitantly, unsettled by the demeanour of her cheerful daughter.

"It's fine... I just feel like I am alone here." She sighed, putting her clothes down and picking her phone, face timing her mother. "It's kind of hard to adjust when you are truly alone with no one by your side." She sighed, the smile still lingering over her lips. "What do you mean by no one?" Ruqaiya asked. "Adeel never pays attention to me, at first I thought he was truly busy but now I feel he is avoiding me. Not even bothering to do anything." She mumbled, gritting her teeth to not cry and tell her about the emptiness. "Oh my, why does he do this to you?" Ruqaiya asked sadly. "That's the problem, he does nothing." Her dejection faltered and was replaced by a seething looking, scoffing. "Don't worry my love, I will talk to your Father."

"No, You don't have to. I am sure we will adjust." She said, trying to lighten her mood. "No. we-"

"Mama, please..."

"Maisha..." Ruqaiya called her name sadly and was about to speak but the sound of honk indicated Adeel was at home. "I will talk to you later, Adeel is home. Allah Hafiz." She smiled and cut the call, getting down to greet Adeel.

"Assalam o Alaikum, you're early today." She said, He hummed in response, loosening his tie as Maisha was about to take his office back but he refused and walked away but stopped at the stairs, "Maisha." He called her. Her heart skipped a beat when he called her, turning to look at him, "Yes?"
"Get ready, we are leaving to attend a party in Dad's stead as he is not well." He told her coldly and went to their room to refresh himself without seeing anyone. Her lips formed a thin line, nodding.

Maisha got ready, with hairs falling down from her shoulder, grace dripped from her detangled form forged to perfection, She wore a knee-length frock along with matching stockings to hide her skin and matching shoes, getting ready.

"Let's go." Adeel's voice came out unaffected as usual as they both left.

There was nothing for her to do at the party, she was sitting alone somewhere, humming to herself but soon Adeel came, "Come, we have to dance." He said. "Do we have to?" She asked innocently. "Yes." He hummed, offering her his hand. She nodded and stood up, taking his hand and going with him.

Her put his hand on her waist, eyes affixed anywhere but her face as if the vicinity between them was highly unfavourable on his side. She hesitantly put her hand on his shoulder, and they began to Waltz in rhythm to the music, from afar a beautiful couple syncing their souls but reality was too far from it, in close up, there was nothing but a mere sheet of coldness wrapped over them, not even bothering to make an eye contact- let alone talk.

While they were at the party, Shahid received a call from Ishfaq who asked about his daughter's wellbeing, complaining that Adeel is not treating Maisha right which made him infuriated.

When Adeel and Maisha returned from the party, Shahid was waiting for them.

"Adeel, Maisha, Stop." His voice came stern, holding his hands at his back,

"Yes, Chachu?" Maisha asked, turning to him

"Adeel, I need to talk to you." Shahid said, glaring at Adeel while standing in front of him. "Yes, Dad?"

"Ishfaq called me. How many times do I have to tell you to take care of Maisha? How many times do I have to repeat one thing? She is your responsibility, can't you get this little thing in your pea-sized brain?!" Shahid continued to scold Adeel who listened quietly with no expression but the death-glare he sent in Maisha's direction was clear as a look of fear crept upon her face.

"Why are you looking at her? Look at me." Shahid said angrily. "I didn't know she would complain to her parents." He muttered, indirectly pissed at Maisha.

"What complain? She was right, it is your fault." Shahid was beyond at his son's behaviour. "I knew it." Adeel said in a low tone, directed to Maisha which made her convulse.

"I told you her happiness is your duty." Shahid continued to scold him but Adeel turned to Maisha, hissing, "I expected this from you."

His words made her disheartened, "Chachu, that's not it." She whispered, making a disquiet face, hoping it would cease his anger but to no avail. "You don't have to lie."

"When I told you to keep your mouth shut from my parents you told yours huh? What are you trying to show by doing this?" Adeel's voice came icy, almost furious.

"What the hell are you saying, Adeel!?" Shahid said, losing his patience with him.

"No, Dad. She always does this. She also has some obligation and when I have told her to shut her mouth she should but no. She loves complaining about me. She always does-" Before he could continue Shahid slapped Adeel hard as the sound echoed in the hall.

Maisha gasped, moving back and covering her mouth in disbelief of what happened because of her.

Adeel was taken aback at first but making a 'tsk' sound, he went to his room. Slamming the door behind, he sat on the bed infuriatingly, clenching his hands in a tight fist to control himself.

With a teary gaze Maisha entered and the death-stare he sent in her direction induced fright in her, sending a shiver down her spine by his predatory gaze.

"A-Adeel... listen.." She tried to call him, coming a step closer. "Adeel, I am so sorry... I didn't know it would happen.. I am sorry.." She cried.

"I don't want to talk to you." He breathed out, closing his eyes. "Adeel, please, I am sorry, I didn't mean to do it." She tried to come closer but he growled, "Get away, I don't want to talk to you." No matter how outraged he was, he couldn't make an irredeemable mistake in spur of rage.

"Adeel-" She tried to speak but he stood up, making her heart skip a beat when he turned to her, "I said, I don't want to talk to you. You did what you wanted, now don't expect anything from me." He said in a low tone, leaning to her face with his hands in his pockets, almost scowling at her which made her stiff and unable to speak further.

"I knew it was futile to expect anything from you." He sighed, shaking his head in disappointment and leaving her alone to cry over what happened.