Chapter # 12

Adeel began to stay up late at work to avoid any interaction with Maisha, since he was away from everyone else, He didn't have to worry about complaints anymore. They can do anything and he can finally have his relief.

He believes it to be his reprieve from everything surrounding him with undesirable trouble. "So... how's everything Man?" Sameer asked. "What everything?" he asked, eyes affixed on the screen of his laptop. "Your home and work, what else?" He shrugged. "Fine." He replied coldly. "What's with you man?" He frowned, noting his expressionless face. "What?" He asked in the same tone. "You are going on with that tone and expression these days." He asked, almost angry.

"What do you want me to do huh? Laugh?" He asked impassively. "Still man, are you going to remain like this forever? Maisha is a nice woman, how do you think this will work if you won't try?" He asked, displeased at this friend's behavior.

"Sameer, just leave it. I don't want to talk about it." Adeel sighed, pinching his nose.

"Don't you ever?" He retorted but he didn't pay heed. "May Allah give your wife strength to bear this stone." He said, leaving him but Adeel pretended to not hear it and focused on his work.

After a tiresome- a deliberately-made exhausting day at work, he returned home late as usual. "Welcome home. How was your day?" Maisha asked sweetly, offering to take his bag, "Fine." He muttered, going back to the room, putting his bag on the table, loosening his tie and taking off his coat.

"Shall I serve dinner for you? I already had dinner, you are so late-" She tried to make a little talk but he only responded with a 'yes' and went to freshen up.

Sighing in disappointment, Maisha went to the Kitchen. Why do I even bother in the first place? This won't make a difference. She thought bitterly and served the dinner.

He was eating peacefully, she sat beside him, staring at his face, nibbling her bottom lips in a meaningless hope that he might notice but to no avail.

"Adeel..." She called him after a pause of no reaction. "Hmm?" He hummed, not even looking at her.

"I am growing weary of staying here all day." She said sternly. "So?"

"Can I get a job or something? I just don't want to stay all alone at home."

"Do whatever you want." His tone came out stone-cold. "I can teach Urdu at an institute or something. I have a degree. Who knows someone might be interested?" She said expectantly but he poured water over it. "There are no institutes nearby. How far can you go in an unknown country?" He asked, finally putting his spoon down and looking up at her.

"I can at least try." She tried to reason, "Once again, do whatever you want." he sighed, getting up to leave. Frowning at his reaction, she raised from her seat, "Can you at least be attentive to what I say?" She asked, "What did I say?" he asked in confusion.

"You don't care wherever I go or whatever I do, don't you?" She asked, closing her arms. "I am tired." He said his signature dialogue and went to the room.

"Of course, you are tired of me." She scoffed, rolling her eyes off at him and went to the room as well as they went to sleep.

The next day after Adeel left for work, Maisha did some of the housework and went to the cafe once again to loosen her mind and gain a momentary solace.

A smile crept upon her lips, reading the Urdu poetry book she got along with, indulging in her company until a voice called her, "Hey." She looked up and saw Azlan there. "Hey."

"Can I sit there?" He asked politely, pointing at the empty seat next to her. "Sure." She smiled as he sat down. "I hope I didn't d-disturb you." He said nervously, not knowing what happens to him in her presence.

"No, it's alright. I truly need someone's company." She said sweetly, closing her book. "Deewan-E-Ghalib? Do people still read it?" He asked as it was old, classical poetry. "I don't know. I don't think so. But I like it." She trailed off, smiling faintly.

"I hope I didn't break the rhythm of you and your book." He said playfully. "You certainly didn't." She smiled but then thought about asking him, "Listen, Azlan..." She called him, "Hmm?" He asked, ordering himself a cup of coffee.

"Aren't there any institutes... you know.. Where could I possibly teach Urdu to kill time and my boredom?" She asked, holding a glint of sadness in her voice. "Sure there are but they are far away. You are not up for a two hour ride, are you?" He asked with a shrug.

"No." She shook her head immediately and sighed, "I just want to do something to kill time. Anything." She breathed out, elbow resting on the table, looking with gloom lingering over her head.

"You can attend my painting classes if you are interested." He suggested. "Hmm? Painting?" She paused, turning her head to him. "Yeah... if you want."

"I don't know... I have only won the painting competition in grade four, nothing after it." She mumbled, pondering about it. Please say yes. Please say yes. He thought, not removing his eyes from her.

"How about I ask my-" She stopped mid-sentenced knowing if she asks Adeel, he will say yes because he doesn't care. "Well sure. I would consider it my privilege to be taught by a professional." She giggled. Azlan's face glowed in excitement when she told him.

"I hope I can get some discount too." She smirked, teasing him. "I don't think I would take fees from you either." He whispered, smile growing wider. "I was kidding." She giggled, thinking he was joking but he was serious. "I wasn't joking. You are my friend. Why would I?" He asked sweetly but her amusement faltered and was replaced with bewilderment, "Um.. I don't know. Friend or not, it would be wrong if I take advantage of it. It's okay." She said with a wide smile.

"Okay, okay..." He chuckled as he gave her the address to his home, exchanging necessary information and stuff she will need, spending a great evening together and Maisha realized it was getting late.

"Ah my, the sun is setting. I should leave." She said, "I can walk you home... If you don't mind." He offered gallantly, getting up. "It will be dark soon and I can't let you roam alone. Especially when you don't know around." He said kindly. She wanted to refuse but couldn't, he was right.

"Sure." She said as they left the cafe, walking down the streets of New York City, "This place sure is big." She whispered, looking around at the buildings surrounding her. In the growing darkness when lights gradually began to ignite the place.

"So... how did you end up here?" She asked casually. "We shifted here from Pakistan when I was fifteen. My Father's work was here and he missed us a lot and here we are."

"I see." She hummed, "And you?" He asked, turning to her. "My husband." She replied. "Your husband is lucky to have a graceful lady like you." Azlan mentally scolded himself for saying this but he couldn't deny it either. Her smile faded, looking down at the ground. "Mais-" He was about to ask but she forced a smile,

"Ah there we are, Azlan." She smiled, stopping at her building. "Woah, you live here?" He asked, noticing the luxurious building before him. "Yeah..." She nodded. Woah, even I can't afford an apartment here. She sure is rich but so kind and down to earth.

"Okay then, See you tomorrow at class! Allah Hafiz!" She grinned, waving at him. I am glad I met you. He thought with a smile and wanted to say but didn't. "Allah Hafiz!" He grinned back, waving at her and left.

She went home and saw time. Knowing Adeel is going to be late like always, she cooked dinner as it was almost done, Adeel returned home. "Welcome home." She greeted him with her usual smile but he ignored and went to freshen up.

They were having dinner as Maisha told him about her day, "Azlan is a famous painter, he offered to teach me paint classes. Can I go?" She asked hopefully. "Yeah." He hummed, using his phone while eating.

"He is so nice, it was late so he offered to walk me home too." She added that part, hoping he would hear but no. "Adeel." She called him. "What?"

"What did I say?" She asked. "Painting class or something. Sure you can go." He said, glancing over. "And after it?" She asked, furrowing her brows. "Did you say something after it?" He asked.

"Nothing." She sighed, taking plates, "It's useless talking to you." She muttered, he frowned at her statement but sighing he left for their room, not wanting to talk because he is tired.